• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video of several quail coveys feeding (1 Viewer)

tucansam

I use a homemade suet recipe, and have had three, and possibly four, different coveys of quail link up as one large group to hit the feeders.

I am working on additional videos, but I have footage of all of these families coming by the yard over the last 6-9 months, starting with several mated pairs with their very tiny chicks! I have literally watched most of these birds grow up before my eyes.

The chicks were so small when they first started coming by, that moms and dads would fly up to the top of the brick wall to exit the yard, and their babies could not make it up there on their own. I had to catch and place them up there, or chase them out my gate, so they could meet back up with their parents. Now they're all grown, and they come by several times a day to feed, especially with the cold weather upon us.

I've had quail come by for several years now (along with about a dozen other species), but not in this quantity. Its a great pleasure to have them visit the yard, and they are very entertaining. They can make a terrible mess, kicking rocks around and tearing up the ground, and are very vocal and like to chase each other around and fight. Its fun to watch the dominance games they play, and they very clearly have different personalities. I've counted up to 20 or so in the yard at once!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back