• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suet versus dough (1 Viewer)

CMattio

United States
Hello! I am brand new here. I live in North Georgia (only 5 minutes from the North Carolina line). My husband and I just recently moved here and initially set up bird feeders outside to entertain our indoor cat, but found that we LOVE having the birds around. I purchased a standard square suet block holder and the suet I purchased was an INSTANT hit. Unfortunately, it's getting warmer and I've discovered the suet has started to melt, so I purchased some "no melt" dough of the same brand but upon watching the birds, they don't seem to care for it much at all. Well... MOST of the birds don't. The grey catbird will eat anything and do well the thrashers but my downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, and even my blue jays don't seem to be thrilled by the change. What can I do to keep them around without having to deal with a nasty, melted mess? Any advice would be so very appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

You could try feeding a seed mix, peanuts, chopped fruit, sunflower seeds, niger seeds.
Thank you so much for your reply! I'll look into that. They've got black oil sunflower but mostly cardinals and the smaller ones go for that. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back