• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage binocular identification (1 Viewer)

gxtx

United States
Hi all,

I recently got some new binoculars at a vintage store in NH, was wondering if anyone could help with identification.

No case, "olympus brand" strap is new-ish, and I haven't been able to find any information about this logo "Kogo". Lens is pretty good but maybe could use a cleaning, otherwise works great! Slightly sticky eye pieces.

"Mariner 7x50" "Coated optics" on left, and "kogo(?) "Field 7.1*" on right. "Made in Japan" on center. Any help would be appreciated!

-G

Attachments

• image_50393601.JPG
    image_50393601.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • image_50412033.JPG
    image_50412033.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • image_50436097.JPG
    image_50436097.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • image_50738433.JPG
    image_50738433.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Hi and welcome.

The binocular is independent eyepiece focus, which makes moisture less likely to enter.

A standard 7x50, 7.1 degree binocular.

Kogo might mean company, I am not sure.
Maybe triangle emblem company, with a name also of Mariner.

Are there any marks saying JB or JE which will give the actual maker's name.
They could be in the front inside the front objective lenses.

I have not seen this particular name before.

But other companies such as Minolta had Mariner binoculars.

It does say coated optics although I cannot see any coatings.
Maybe from the 1960s.

Regards,
B.

Thank you B and Pat! I found an expired ebay listing that had the same "kogo" logo! There are no JB or JE numbers to be found, I believe it is Katsuma or a stylized "KOC." as you said after looking into it.

G

The Jb/Je only came into use in the late 50's and the binos likely predate that time. I love the looks of diamond knurling for the focus. Katsuma still exists.. Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back