• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage bins... (1 Viewer)

Any interest in these here? Was thinking about picking up a pair or 2 for bird watching.
Vintage bins are generally not so much of interest, because rather better new ones can be had for around $100.
Of course there are exceptions, collectors prize items such as the very wide angle SARD 6x42, but really most older glasses wind up at a Goodwill store.
Even then, it costs a hundred dollars or more to clean up and realign older glass, so no point in buying unless it is in very good shape or somehow unique.

Some people really like the old wide-angle 7x35s etc (with 9°+ field) because there's no modern equivalent. Vintage bins are well represented in this thread:

The old bushnell Rangemaster 7x35 provides great wide views (11degree), the eye relief is on the tight side, weighs a fair amount, the coatings aren’t up to modern standard and the edges of the field are less than pretty. For their time they were the state of the art (1960s). Still provide great expansive views, but modern binos are more practical for daily use.

Peter

There is definitely some interest, although mostly from those who are into binoculars first and foremost rather than into birds.

Pros: some models have very good fields of view (if you don't need glasses/spectacles), some models are very well made. Often quite affordable (except models that are "collectible").

Cons: old binoculars often need servicing due to hazing, fungus, being knocked out of alignment etc. Most are not fully waterproof and in many cases are not too well protected against weather (rain etc). Many (though not all) can't be used with glasses/spectacles. Some knowledge is needed to identify the better models/brands. Modern binoculars are almost always brighter and often have truer colours.

As you can see the list of negatives is a good bit longer than the positives. But there's no doubt you can (and I have) get a lot of birding enjoyment from old binoculars. I recommend trying both the old and the new - then you can make an educated decision on what you like best/what best suits your situation.

Yes. I think you'll find a few here, me included, who have more than a passing, although maybe not an entirely healthy interest in vintage binoculars.

I've had a few pairs over the years and kept my favourite/s. I'd think of my Carton 10x50's as my vintage bins but I suppose design wise my habichts could be considered vintage, the SLC 7x42b's maybe modern classics- probably not though!

It's quite a nice niche too as you can choose something you just like the view through rather than what's the best you can afford financially, liberating and maybe good for the soul. In some instances a more characterful rather than accurate presentation of reality can be very enjoyable if your not seeking a perfect reflection.

Vintage doesn't actually have a defined age as such so it is a judgement call, a dangerous one too, you could call something from before 1985 vintage but that would include me and I would be mortally offended.

What pairs are you thinking of?

Last edited:
6x24 Amplivid and Komz are fully usable today. 1960s? 12.2 degree fields.

My 1975 Celestron selected Japanese 20x80. 3.5 degree field.

Numerous EWA Japanese 10x50s. 7.5 to 7.9 degree fields.

Minolta 7x35 Standard 11.05 degree field.

Swift 8.5x44s 8.35 degree field.

Nikon 7x50.

There are many usable pre 1985 binoculars and some 1960s.

Regards,
B.

IMG_0517.jpeg

As stated above by William and Binstro, some so called “vintage” binoculars are -for me- still very useful today.

I use this three almost daily because of the wide view and compactness and using them is indeed “liberating and maybe good for the soul. In some instances a more characterful rather than accurate presentation of reality can be very enjoyable if your not seeking a perfect reflection.”

Any interest in these here? Was thinking about picking up a pair or 2 for bird watching.
Hi and welcome to Bird Forum. The challenge with vintage binoculars is finding some that do not require a service to be useable. There are plenty of used binoculars for sale. It will take some experience and persistence to find the good ones. I enjoy using vintage Nikon and Swarovski binoculars as well as newer binoculars that benefit from improved optical coatings. Unless you have a specific interest in vintage binoculars you might want to start with some of the reasonably priced new ones in say an 8x42 design.

Thanks, I used to have a Dialyt but never an old Trinovid. Do you know how this 6x24 compares to the Amplivid?
I have never looked through a Amplivid so I don’t know. They have different prisms.

I feel the vintage binoculars can easily be excellent all around observing optics , but I’d stick to the high end alphas of their day. I specifically like the 7x35 SWA and UWA options. Imo the top ones compete optically very well with the $500-$1000 current options , at least under sunny skies. The classic Swift Audubon models are also a phenomenal bang for the buck. Of course not being water proof may not be the best for the dedicated birders.

I’d ad that I don’t think buying these are the best idea for beginners getting into the hobby of nature observing or the binocular collecting thing. As mentioned by a few others, these older binoculars many times can have issues, you need to know what to look for and be prepaid to spend some money on services.

But I would say that some of the top vintage wide field options have an image quality that is incomparable to just about anything on the market today. The 3-D effect and depth of field of the 7X has to be experienced to understand what they’re about.

Paul

There’s a nice recently serviced Sears super wide on cloudy right now for $400 and change. This is a good vintage super wide to get an idea of what there about.

A few years ago, my siblings and I were clearing out the basement of my parent's house in Chicago, as they had moved to assisted living. I found an old Carl Zeiss Jena Deltrintem 8x30 binoculars with serial number 1418147. The lens were misaligned and an eyecup was broken. I sent them to Zeiss for refurbishing, and they were returned in useable condition, though the eye relief was inadequate for me and my eyeglasses.
Zeiss informed me that the serial number indicates that this unit was manufactured in the 1920's! Since they were discovered in the house where my father, grandfather (the hunter in the family), and great-grandfather lived, it's almost certain these 100 year old binoculars were originally purchased at least 2 generations ago. Talk about vintage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back