• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

vireo help (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I saw this bird at the Bosque Del Apache Wilderness in NW New Mexico 6 weeks ago. Merlin ID'ed it as a Gray Vireo. since it is listed as scarce I thought I would ask for confirmation. thank you_Q2A3531.jpg_Q2A3530.jpg

Not convinced it is. Difficult to be sure, but the bill looks wrong (can't see a hook, for example), and the primary projection too great. Do you have other photos?

Reminds me of Townsend's Solitaire, though the wing pattern seems faded (it's molting older, sun-bleached feathers, e.g. on tail, which might explain the absence of defined pattern on wing as well).
merlin said it could either be a grey vireo or a Townsends but I ruled out a Townsends due to the lack of a wing pattern but if faded then it might be. I would love more comments

My first thought was Townsend's solitaire - elongated elegant thrushy things. I don't find any aspect of this bird that says vireo - an example of AI keying into the wrong things and screwing up accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back