• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vis-mig, Dundee, Scotland 22/10/23 (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
A couple of birds photographed (badly) over Riverside Nature Park in Dundee while watching migrants passing through in late October. I put the 2 Buntings down as Reed Bunting - despite the colour of the cheek looking a bit more Little Bunting-esque, and the 'finch' has been left as an undecided - though now swaying between Linnet and Twite (the white panel in outer wing fits Linnet slightly better but the white wingbar/curve inboard of that seems a little too strong for Linnet). The white balance is very likely a bit 'off' giving a false impression of colours - due to early morning sun. Reed Bunting and Linnet would be likeliest for the location but am interested as to what others think.

Attachments

• SA220028.jpg
    SA220028.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SA220032 (2).jpg
    SA220032 (2).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 61
  • SA220033 (2).jpg
    SA220033 (2).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 55
  • SA220034 (2).jpg
    SA220034 (2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 51
  • SA220035.jpg
    SA220035.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 48
  • SA220036.jpg
    SA220036.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 48
  • SA220037 (2).jpg
    SA220037 (2).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 62
  • SA220981.jpg
    SA220981.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 65
  • SA220982 (2).jpg
    SA220982 (2).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 68
  • SA220983 (2).jpg
    SA220983 (2).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 66
  • SA220985.jpg
    SA220985.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 70
  • SA220989 (2).jpg
    SA220989 (2).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 70
  • SA220989.jpg
    SA220989.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SA220990.jpg
    SA220990.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 64
  • SA220991.jpg
    SA220991.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 67
  • SA220995.jpg
    SA220995.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 70
Finch looks like a Redpoll sp.
I certainly can't say that it definitely isn't a Redpoll. I've photographed a few in similar situations this Autumn and they've looked like obvious Redpolls on the photos. To me, this one looks rather different to those birds/photos, despite a few potentially pro-Redpoll features.

Hello,
I dont have confident features against Redpolls and they might well be ones, but when you dont got a Redpoll, but a Twite vibe in the field and you know I trust observers opinions more than poor resolution pictures (no offence you know), why not Twites with that appearant whitish panel in the primaries and the appearant lack of streaks to the flanks.
Some Twites can be quite drab birds with the whitish wingbar the most obvious feature.

edit: please compare (Fiener Bruch near Tucheim, NE-Germany)

Last edited:
#1 is a Reed Bunting, and agree with Alexander for the second pic.

You can see white shafts in all primaries (e.g. first and last pics) which eliminates all Redpoll sp, and a rather bulky/bulbous head and neck, lacking the rufous mantle tones of Linnet. Also the face pattern isn't strong enough for Linnet (lacks 'moustache' for example). It has a nice bright greater covert wing bar. I can see nothing wrong for Twite.

Last edited:
Hello,
I dont have confident features against Redpolls and they might well be ones, but when you dont got a Redpoll, but a Twite vibe in the field and you know I trust observers opinions more than poor resolution pictures (no offence you know), why not Twites with that appearant whitish panel in the primaries and the appearant lack of streaks to the flanks.
Some Twites can be quite drab birds with the whitish wingbar the most obvious feature.

edit: please compare (Fiener Bruch near Tucheim, NE-Germany)

#1 is a Reed Bunting, and agree with Alexander for the second pic.

You can see white shafts in all primaries (e.g. first and last pics) which eliminates all Redpoll sp, and a rather bulky/bulbous head and neck, lacking the rufous mantle tones of Linnet. Also the face pattern isn't strong enough for Linnet (lacks 'moustache' for example). It has a nice bright greater covert wing bar. I can see nothing wrong for Twite.
Alexander (and Steve), my impressions of the bird are all from the photos - however, I've seen/photographed lots of Linnets and Redpoll and this bird doesn't look like any of those - except in a few details. The more I tried to work out what it was, the more I was leaning towards Twite - the bill looks smaller than a Linnet's, and the combination of white panel and white wing bar in the closed wing views ruled out pretty much everything else other than Twite. What was putting me off was that we don't get Twite here in Dundee (though there is a small wintering flock about 10 miles away). However, I was hoping that with the previous few day's stormy conditions clearing that there might be some interesting migrants 'backed up' at the coast. There were hundreds of thrushes passing through that morning as well as mix of other species including a relatively late Tree Pipit, so in that context, Twite isn't particularly unusual - except for the location. I don't see Twite very often - about once a year if I'm lucky, so I was very wary of calling it one and why I posted it on here for a second opinion. I'll run it past the park's 'rarities committee' for one final check, but it would certainly appear that I have yet another new bird for my Dundee145 list (number 154!) and a new one for the park's list too. Thanks for your input, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back