• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Stuttgart April 2022 (1 Viewer)

Hello ,

I,m planing a trip to visit Germany late April and to spend a couple of days birding in the area of Stuttgart and Baden Baden.

I,ve some target birds to look and will appreciate some guidance of places to go and eventually local guides for a day trip.

List.

Nucifraga caryocatactes -the Nutcraker
Picus canus - Grey Headed Woodpecker
Poecile montanus - Willow tit
Carduelis citrinella -citril finch
Perdix perdix -Grey partridge
Aegolius funereus

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello ,

I,m planing a trip to visit Germany late April and to spend a couple of days birding in the area of Stuttgart and Baden Baden.

I,ve some target lists to look and will appreciate some guidance of places to go and eventually local guides for a day trip.

List.

Nucifraga caryocatactes -the Nutcraker
Picus canus - Grey Headed Woodpecker
Poecile montanus - Willow tit
Carduelis citrinella -citril finch
Perdix perdix -Grey partridge
Aegolius funereus

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Dear Rogerio,

As you will be in the German state ("Bundesland") of Baden-Württemberg (with its capital Stuttgart quite in the center and Baden-Baden at about the same latitude but in the state's west), you might find the website of the Ornithologische Gesellschaft Baden-Württemberg interesting and the following lists particularly helpful:

- A list of where which birds breed: OGBW - Vögel

- Another list of bird phenology: OGBW - Vögel

Nucifraga caryocatactes = "Tannenhäher" (never seen one myself, but the Black Forest is one of its major habitats, I think) OGBW - Vögel

Picus canus = "Grauspecht" (I've also not seen this one myself.) OGBW - Vögel

Poecile montanus = "Weidenmeise" (I would be hard pressed to differentiate a Weidenmeise from a Sumpfmeise, but I am sure more experienced German/European birders can.) OGBW - Vögel

Carduelis citrinella = "Zitronenzeisig" (I've never seen it.) OGBW - Vögel

Perdix perdix = "Rebhuhn" (Never seen it myself, but I know that there are attempts to halt the downward spiral in its numbers.) OGBW - Vögel

Aegolius funereus = "Raufußkauz" (I am happy I have at least seen a "Waldkauz" / Strix aluco ...) OGBW - Vögel

There are different kinds of nature reserves in Germany. One is a "Vogelschutzgebiet" (bird reserve). You can find an official website here for Baden-Württemberg here: Vogelschutzgebiete and an interactive map here: Karte: Kartenansicht - Daten- und Kartendienst der LUBW

Most of the nature/bird reserves also have a (German) Wikipedia entry -- these often list the species you can find there:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dear Rogerio,

As you will be in the German state ("Bundesland") of Baden-Württemberg (with its capital Stuttgart quite in the center and Baden-Baden at about the same latitude but in the state's west), you might find the website of the Ornithologische Gesellschaft Baden-Württemberg interesting and the following lists particularly helpful:

- A list of where which birds breed: OGBW - Vögel

- Another list of bird phenology: Phenology - Wikipedia

Nucifraga caryocatactes = "Tannenhäher" (never seen one myself, but the Black Forest is one of its major habitats, I think) OGBW - Vögel

Picus canus = "Grauspecht" (I've also not seen this one myself.) OGBW - Vögel

Poecile montanus = "Weidenmeise" (I would be hard pressed to differentiate a Weidenmeise from a Sumpfmeise, but I am sure more experienced German/European birders can.) OGBW - Vögel

Carduelis citrinella = "Zitronenzeisig" (I've never seen it.) OGBW - Vögel

Perdix perdix = "Rebhuhn" (Never seen it myself, but I know that there are attempts to halt the downward spiral in its numbers.) OGBW - Vögel

Aegolius funereus = "Raufußkauz" (I am happy I have at least seen a "Waldkauz" / Strix aluco ...) OGBW - Vögel

There are different kinds of nature reserves in Germany. One is a "Vogelschutzgebiet" (bird reserve). You can find an official website here for Baden-Württemberg here: Vogelschutzgebiete and an interactive map here: Karte: Kartenansicht - Daten- und Kartendienst der LUBW

Most of the nature/bird reserves also have a (German) Wikipedia entry -- these often list the species you can find there:

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot Classick , yes sure this will help my research.

I live in a different part of Germany, but here are some tips...

Citril Finch is really only feasible in the southern Black Forest (the Todtnauer Hütte on the Feldberg looks like the most popular place to get a tick).
It has disappeared mostly from the northern Black Forest where it was common not that long ago according my site guide!

Willow Tit is not reported that much (probably it does not occur at all near Stuttgart), but a really good area appears to be the Seibelseckle ski area near Baiersbronn. In this part of the Black Forest there are many sightings, so it must be common.

Tengmalm's Owl occurs widely in the Black Forest, e.g. near Baiersbronn. Good luck finding that, as it sings in the middle of the night. A local with knowledge of breeding sites is what you need, or a lot of stamina.

Nutcracker occurs widely in the Black Forest, but Baiersbronn again looks good. I am not sure how visible it is in April.

Grey-headed Woodpecker is widespread in the lowlands and occurs in Stuttgart. If you get an account in Startseite ornitho.de / ornitho.lu - www.ornitho.de you should be able to search for it by location. I don't think it is very user-friendly but it should really help for this species.

Grey Partridge: looks reasonably common between Hochdorf an der Enz, Hemmingen, Münchingen, Ditzingen and Möglingen, just west of Stuttgart.

(My target bird at that time would be Collared Flycatcher which breeds not that far east from Stuttgart).

I live in a different part of Germany, but here are some tips...

Citril Finch is really only feasible in the southern Black Forest (the Todtnauer Hütte on the Feldberg looks like the most popular place to get a tick).
It has disappeared mostly from the northern Black Forest where it was common not that long ago according my site guide!

Willow Tit is not reported that much (probably it does not occur at all near Stuttgart), but a really good area appears to be the Seibelseckle ski area near Baiersbronn. In this part of the Black Forest there are many sightings, so it must be common.

Tengmalm's Owl occurs widely in the Black Forest, e.g. near Baiersbronn. Good luck finding that, as it sings in the middle of the night. A local with knowledge of breeding sites is what you need, or a lot of stamina.

Nutcracker occurs widely in the Black Forest, but Baiersbronn again looks good. I am not sure how visible it is in April.

Grey-headed Woodpecker is widespread in the lowlands and occurs in Stuttgart. If you get an account in Startseite ornitho.de / ornitho.lu - www.ornitho.de you should be able to search for it by location. I don't think it is very user-friendly but it should really help for this species.

Grey Partridge: looks reasonably common between Hochdorf an der Enz, Hemmingen, Münchingen, Ditzingen and Möglingen, just west of Stuttgart.

(My target bird at that time would be Collared Flycatcher which breeds not that far east from Stuttgart).

Thanks a lot Xenospiza ,

This is a great help indeed.

Well i did not had in my mind that Collared Flycatcher could be seen there as well and yes that should be in my wish list as well , any specific places to go and find it ?

BR
Rogerio

A good place for Collared Flycatcher looks to be the Favoritepark in Ludwigsburg.
The orchards just southwest of Großbottwar look even better (start at the "Städtische Streuobstwiese", the road is called "zum Waldspielplatz"). Again, checking ornitho.de at the time would be key.
End of April is a bit early for them, but there were some sightings last year.

Also not from the region so I cant give much direct info about certain locations.

The Cementary in Göppingen is also a very reliable place for Collared Flycatcher.
I agree to check ornitho during your stay to see if some of the birds have already arrived.

Nutcracker is generally common in the Black Forest area but End of April is probably the worst time to see it.

On the other targets Xenospiza has given good Information. Willow Tit is sadly undergoing a heavy decline in the last years in Germany but in the higher altitudes you still should be able to find them relatively easy.

I have personally seen Gray-headed Woodpecker in Sandweier just North of Baden Baden. There is some heath area next to the "Standbad Sandweier", checking ornitho also revealed some sightings from this year, so might be a general reliable site for it.

Willow Tit and Grey-headed Woodpecker can also be found in some lowland habitats; the former should still be reasonably common in wetland reserves and riparian forests e.g. along the Rhine (although it's been a while since I've checked). The riparian forests can have any of the local woodpecker species except for Three-toed, which in this state only occurs in the Black Forest. Grey-headed should also occur in some forested areas higher up.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back