• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Foresta 7x50 porro (1 Viewer)

Having used the Vixen's daily during the last week, I am even more impressed with them. As follownoone wrote in the WOW thread, there is something special about these binoculars in following birds in flight. Today I had a rare sighting for our area of Mexico as I saw two flocks of American White Pelicans (which were a part of a great migration) above about 150 yards away and the view with these binoculars was stunning and unlike the view I would have gotten from my Nikon Action 7x35 or the Zen Ed 8x43 or the ZRS 10x42.

Viewing seven of the pelicans at a lake was superb also as they were about a hundred yards away and the binoculars produced fantastic detail as they cruised the waters while fishing.

Elaine,

How do the twist-up eyecups fit your face? They look very LARGE. I'm impressed with Frank's review and what Edz had to say about these bins on Cloudy Nights. I'm a porromaniac, but I never considered this porro because I was concerned the eyecups would not be a good fit for my face (deep set eyes/high bridge nose - Sam Elliot is my brother from another mother). The eyecups remind me of the 820 Audubon.

Frank, forget about the Sightron II, send me the 7x50 Vixen. If you make a believer out of me, we'll get this thread up to 700 posts in no time and those commissions will be rolling in so fast, you'll be upgrading to a Nikon 7x50 Prostar. Start pumping some iron to get yourself ready!

Brock

Well having purchased Frank's beloved Vixen's prior to Christmas and having to send them in to fix an eyecup I have been able to use them now! Optically these binoculars are really quite good, no really good! Colors, contrast and sharpness are all top notch and in the lack of CA and these produce an excellent image. They are a well balanced binocular with fairly smooth focus for a wp Poro no complaints. Yes Brock they do have rather large eyecups but, not a problem for me. Typical narrow 7x50 fov. In use with the rather large sweet spot really don't notice it. The only problem I have is the bridge flexes. In use I haven't seen a shift in focus or diopter adjustment so in fact it's not a problem! :) Really like these and don't see me selling them back to Frank or anyone else for that matter! :) Thanks again Frank. A nice addition to the collection. Bryce...

Glad the 7x50's have found a good home.

I know you blokes are "mad" for the 7x50's over there, but I could never generate much lust for them. My own was a heavy, similar narrow-gutted FOV (though sharp to 85%+), but lacking the fandangled triplet objectives of the Vixen.

You can't argue with porro "clarity", or indeed the 7mm EP's, but after a brief dalliance with the Swift Audubon 820 ED 8.5x44, I was left largely wondering what all the 7x hoo-ha was about - I mean I hardly ever had to focus that thing!

So Frank, as in your OP, did you ever scratch that itch?
I have yet to lay my hands on one of the ED Swift Audubons but hope to eventually....

(You can read about my experience with them on the thread, starting here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2569242#post2569242 and then progressively going downhill as the discoveries unfold, but I still think for you folk in the US, eyeballing a whole mess of 'em, until (if!) you find one you can live with is still a very, very good option ...... bang /buck -wise)

Chosun :gh:

Chosen,

No, sadly I haven't at this point. I have had the privilege of owning a couple of the vintage versions and had a 20 minute stint with the current non-ED version up at the local hawkwatch last year but no current EDs. Sorry.

Bryce,

Glad you love them. The raw image quality makes them almost one of a kind.

Chosen,

No, sadly I haven't at this point. I have had the privilege of owning a couple of the vintage versions and had a 20 minute stint with the current non-ED version up at the local hawkwatch last year but no current EDs. Sorry.

Bryce,

Glad you love them. The raw image quality makes them almost one of a kind.

Frank, I would have to agree with you on the raw image! Really quite nice the triplet objective really keeps ca to a minimum which in turn gives you a very relaxed non fatigueing view! Bryce...

Chosen,

No, sadly I haven't at this point. I have had the privilege of owning a couple of the vintage versions and had a 20 minute stint with the current non-ED version up at the local hawkwatch last year but no current EDs.

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure of your exact location, or travel times /methods in your region, but a bit of a quick squizz on the map shows you might be ?? ~100 miles or less from the Adorama shop 42 West 18th Street New York, NY 10011 (in the real big smoke!)

You've probably read my whole sorry saga - but if you were able to get there, and peruse their entire stock of 820porro 8.5X44 ED's along the lines that I mentioned (actual close focus, internal cleanliness), and find a good 'un (at least the focus action on mine was superb), it would be worthwhile. Certainly with your love of porros, and great experience of all things 7x, any comparisons you could make out in the real world would make for very interesting reading indeed. You'd have to see how the actual fit /grip was, but it may just sway you a little ways from those 7x's !

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back