• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vocal ID - San Diego, California (1 Viewer)

la_ravachol

Spain
I heard this by the Bird & Butterfly Garden in Tijuana River Valley yesterday. I'm stumped by it, which is unsurprising given my limited experience of American species. But what surprises me is Merlin and BirdNET are also stumped (the recording seems clean and clear enough). The recording is short but captures the complete sound that was repeated up to 10 times with maybe five second gaps. Does anybody know what it is? The tone sounds kinda right for meadowlark, but can't find any examples of this exact sound, which is quite distinctive.

Attachments

• birdnet_mobile_8532680885_recording_954.wav
    161.6 KB
It is a tough one, but I think you may be on the right track with Icterids. It sounds sort of like a Baltimore Oriole, or possibly a Meadowlark like you suggested. I wondered about Oak Titmouse as well, but interestingly those have never been reported on ebird at that location.

edit: It wouldn't surprise me if it is a Great-tailed Grackle, sticking with the idea of Icterids. They make a huge variety of calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back