• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback HD 10 x 42 Review (1 Viewer)

Another very interesting review, thanks for taking your time and doing such a thorough job. It's great that you were able to mix both details regarding its astronomical capabilities as well as first-hand impressions on the field. I can only agree that the Diamondback HD surprises with its feeling of quality. I've had mine (a 8x32) just for a a few weeks, so I can't talk about long-term reliability, but it's quite impressive for the price. Well, for the US price, since it gets a little pricier once it gets to mainland Europe, but for birders in the US this offering by Vortex is really a very attractive proposal.

My only serious gripe with the 8x32 Diamondback HD is a "ring of reflected light" on the periphery of the field stop. Have a look.

dbhd_light_01-jpeg.1409385

I don't recall reading anything like this about its bigger siblings, like the 10x42, so maybe it's just a common flaw of the 8x32. Another forum member opened a thread about this very issue, it's here:

Hello Yarrellii,

Many thanks for the feedback.

The Diamondback HD 10 x 42 is a very decent binocular; I quite like it. It's a nice general-purpose instrument that does many things well.

I have not experienced anything like you describe in the smaller 8 x 32 Diamondback HD. It does have a much wider field of view than the 10x 42, which might provide a clue. The image you posted reminds me of the 'ring of fire' seen in big, wide angle eyepieces like the 31mm Nagler. I recall someone calling it "chromatic aberration of the exit pupil" and seems to be common in super wide angle eyepiece designs . Interesting link here;

Kind regards,

Neil.

Thanks, Neil, for the comprehensive review! I have the Diamondback HD 8x42 and like them very much!
yarrellii, you might consider sending your 8x32 in for repair. My first pair of 8x42s were optically defective. Vortex sent me a new pair.

Last edited:
Thanks, Neil, for the comprehensive review! I have the Diamondback HD 8x42 and like them very much!
yarrellii, you might consider sending your 8x32 in for repair. My first pair of 8x42s were optically defective. Vortex sent me a new pair.
Interesting. Did you have anything like this ring?

Didn't have the ring of fire. Mine had focus problems, excessive CA and a loose eye piece. Replacement pair has been great.
Wow, sounds like a genuine and true lemon ;)
Focus in mine, as well as the overall quality feeling is remarkable, no play, no backslash, just fine. QC seems to be a bit loose I guess. But then, if they honour their word and replace it... The only question being, how long are they going to be able to withstand this sale system? (I guess they've done their maths and it makes sense for them).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back