• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor UHD 12x50 WP (1 Viewer)

Alexandr33

Ukraine
Looking closely at Vortex Razor UHD 12x50 WP

I want to hear from the owners about this binoculars.

There is no opportunity to look in the store due to their absence in Ukraine.

there is only one option left, with prepayment by prior order

I wonder if there is a significant difference between UHD 12x50 and just HD 12x50?

Here are a couple reviews, I hope you can translate if needed.

Thanks for the links. Before making a choice, I read all the available information.
Reviews are helpful, but they don't replace practical use. Many nuances only open after prolonged use of binoculars. Moreover, both positive and negative aspects are revealed. So I want to get feedback from those who have experience in operating UHD 12x50

Not many on here have the Vortex HD 12x50 or the UHD, I have other 12X50s so I can't help you. There might be some feedback on the hunting forums say Rokslide.

Last edited:
Dennis was in love with his 8x42 UHDs, and I've read many great reviews about the 10x42 as well. Here is one: SLC vs Razor - S&S Archery Backcountry

It seems like they are a great value for the price, but in the 8x42 the focus is apparently very slow, which isn't desirable for birding. I don't know if that carries over to the 12x50.

Thanks for the link. A very correct comparison. The Razor HD really lags behind when it comes to image micro-contrast. I tested it by comparing it to the Zeiss FL Victory. I wonder if contrast has improved in UHD over HD?

Micro contrast?
I have the the Razor 8x42, 10x42 and 12x50 and they are all brilliant.
Crystal clear, you feel like you can reach out touch what you are looking at.

Micro contrast?
I have the the Razor 8x42, 10x42 and 12x50 and they are all brilliant.
Crystal clear, you feel like you can reach out touch what you are looking at.
Do you have them UHD or HD? The visual difference between them is very interesting. It is the contrast that interests, both in bright light and at the beginning of twilight.

I have Vortex Razor UHD 8x42 and they are fantastic, really very sharp, with great control of chromatic aberration.

You will not regret

Probably this year, I will buy Vortex Razor UHD 10x50

I have the 12x50 UHD and it has excellent contrast and very bright and transparent view. Excellent binoculars I use mainly tripod mounted for astronomy. They beat my Leica 10x50 HD plus and also my Fujinon 10x50 for faintest stars seen and also the stars are sharper and more pinpoint in the UHD. Awesome binoculars.

Their after sales service is said be excellent as is the warranty.

I’ve looked through a few pairs of differing magnification and have been impressed but as has been suggested they ultimately lack that sparkle you get with a Zeiss or Swarovski equivalent.

In summary I concluded they would make a great glove compartment set of bins. That is if I were ever so lazy as to leave any instrument in an oven or fridge.

LGM

Well they have more sparkle and are more transparent than my Leica 10x50HD plus. Also the colors are more vibrant in the UHD. So they are definitely no slouch.

I bought the Vortex 12x50 Diamondback HD binos and they are exceptionally sharp from edge to edge. At 29 ounces they are not what I would consider a heavy pair of binos. With the eyecups raised I have no problem with holding them steady for viewing subjects at any distance. They even come with a Vortex binocular harness.

At $239 I was dubious when I ordered them but having used them I find them to be an exceptional value.

I have both the 10x50 Fujinon FMT-SX and the Vortex 12x50 UHD and I prefer the UHD. It is outstanding for Astronomy. I only use it tripod mounted and the stars are just the smallest pinpoints with no flaring or spikes just perfectly round on even bright stars. Alberio is the best I have seen in low power binoculars with the UHD even better than my 10x42 NL pure. Part of it could be 12 vs 10 but the view is just excellent.

I have both the 10x50 Fujinon FMT-SX and the Vortex 12x50 UHD and I prefer the UHD. It is outstanding for Astronomy. I only use it tripod mounted and the stars are just the smallest pinpoints with no flaring or spikes just perfectly round on even bright stars. Alberio is the best I have seen in low power binoculars with the UHD even better than my 10x42 NL pure. Part of it could be 12 vs 10 but the view is just excellent.
Hi Robert, how does the UHD compare with your 12x42 NL Pure in particular for astronomy? The UHD employs AK prisms and I'm sure it's a fine instrument but can it keep up with the Pure? Thanks

Hi Robert, how does the UHD compare with your 12x42 NL Pure in particular for astronomy? The UHD employs AK prisms and I'm sure it's a fine instrument but can it keep up with the Pure? Thanks
Hi,

I sold the Vortex 12x50 UHD after getting the 12x42 NL pure. The 12x NL has the best optics of any binoculars I have had or seen. I can see deeper when tripod mounted than my 10x50 Fujinon. ( both tripod mounted). The moon is just phenomenal in the NL. Pure white with no CA and extreme contrast like no other binocular the way it shows different shadings and texture. Bright stars and Jupiter are the cleanest I have seen also with no flaring and just a perfect little ball with no blue halo even going through focus it just stays white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back