• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper HD and Bushnell Trophy - A noob’s review (3 Viewers)

Yoni

Israel
Hi everyone,

I’m new here and I just wanted to share with you guys my experience with both of these binoculars, hoping someone will find it helpful.

Im pretty new to the binoculars business but my dad has a collection of binoculars (mostly entry level ones but some are really nice for their price).

At first I didn’t think of buying my own pair of binoculars since he has quite a few of them and I could always take one when I visit him, but when I tried his Bushnell Trophy 8x32, I really enjoyed them and decided to get my self a pair! They are compact, light weight, have excellent optic quality and are very comfortable to use with nice and thick rounded eye cups, smooth focus wheel and firm eye cup mechanism that feels very well built. And all of that for 75$ from Amazon!!! GREAT binoculars for a hike or as spare binoculars in the car.

So, after I got to try them out for some time, i started to like using binoculars and have decided to invest in a second pair of binoculars, a more expensive one with 10x magnification because I felt I wanted more reach.
So after I did some research and was debating between the Vortex Diamondback HD and Viper HD, I decided to go with the Viper HD 10x42 (2018 edition) and the moment I got them, the first thing I noticed was the magnification difference (duh), better sharpness and detail, build quality and wide FOV (very similar if not the same as the 8x32 Trophy).
I noticed I see a lot more details when observing close-mid range objects, and I’m able to read signs from hundreds of meters and even couple km away.
Their eye cups have a smooth and quick mechanism with 4 positions and a soft rubber lip, they have a good grip and are comfortable to hold.
They objective lens covers are hard to take on and off, the ocular lens covers are great, the strap is nice and the bag is nice as well, although the rubber band latch is not the easiest to close and sometimes requires two hands. But the optics are super sharp and crisp and I enjoy them a lot! CA is not an issue with these. There is some on specific conditions but not a lot.

All that said, the performance of the Bushnell Trophy is not bad at all and frankly it is not drastically far away from the Vipers. Don’t get me wrong, the difference is there and it is noticeable, but for a 75$ pair that is being compared with an almost 500$ one, they have an outstanding performance and huge value for their price.

Another thing is the focus wheel on the Vipers, it is quite stiff compared to the Trophy which has a much smoother one which I prefer.
My Vipers also came with a messed up locking diopter mechanism that doesn’t lock, but Vortex customer support is excellent and they will take it for repair(hopefully they will be able to loosen the focus wheel too)

I will keep them both and I think these two binoculars should serve me well for a long time, the Vipers will be my main pair and the Trophy will be my spare one for a friend, at the car, or on a hike when I want less weight.

So in conclusion to this long post, the Trophy binoculars are excellent value for money, probably a great choice for kids/teens too, and/or as a spare set.
The Vipers have amazing optics, great build and design and awesome warranty.

P.s: I have done an eye laser surgery a year and a half ago, so I have a brand new 20/20 vision so that might affect my judgement on optics.

Enjoy glassing everyone!

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and I just wanted to share with you guys my experience with both of these binoculars, hoping someone will find it helpful.

Im pretty new to the binoculars business but my dad has a collection of binoculars (mostly entry level ones but some are really nice for their price).

At first I didn’t think of buying my own pair of binoculars since he has quite a few of them and I could always take one when I visit him, but when I tried his Bushnell Trophy 8x32, I really enjoyed them and decided to get my self a pair! They are compact, light weight, have excellent optic quality and are very comfortable to use with nice and thick rounded eye cups, smooth focus wheel and firm eye cup mechanism that feels very well built. And all of that for 75$ from Amazon!!! GREAT binoculars for a hike or as spare binoculars in the car.

So, after I got to try them out for some time, i started to like using binoculars and have decided to invest in a second pair of binoculars, a more expensive one with 10x magnification because I felt I wanted more reach.
So after I did some research and was debating between the Vortex Diamondback HD and Viper HD, I decided to go with the Viper HD 10x42 (2018 edition) and the moment I got them, the first thing I noticed was the magnification difference (duh), better sharpness and detail, build quality and wide FOV (very similar if not the same as the 8x32 Trophy).
I noticed I see a lot more details when observing close-mid range objects, and I’m able to read signs from hundreds of meters and even couple km away.
Their eye cups have a smooth and quick mechanism with 4 positions and a soft rubber lip, they have a good grip and are comfortable to hold.
They objective lens covers are hard to take on and off, the ocular lens covers are great, the strap is nice and the bag is nice as well, although the rubber band latch is not the easiest to close and sometimes requires two hands. But the optics are super sharp and crisp and I enjoy them a lot! CA is not an issue with these. There is some on specific conditions but not a lot.

All that said, the performance of the Bushnell Trophy is not bad at all and frankly it is not drastically far away from the Vipers. Don’t get me wrong, the difference is there and it is noticeable, but for a 75$ pair that is being compared with an almost 500$ one, they have an outstanding performance and huge value for their price.

Another thing is the focus wheel on the Vipers, it is quite stiff compared to the Trophy which has a much smoother one which I prefer.
My Vipers also came with a messed up locking diopter mechanism that doesn’t lock, but Vortex customer support is excellent and they will take it for repair(hopefully they will be able to loosen the focus wheel too)

I will keep them both and I think these two binoculars should serve me well for a long time, the Vipers will be my main pair and the Trophy will be my spare one for a friend, at the car, or on a hike when I want less weight.

So in conclusion to this long post, the Trophy binoculars are excellent value for money, probably a great choice for kids/teens too, and/or as a spare set.
The Vipers have amazing optics, great build and design and awesome warranty.

P.s: I have done an eye laser surgery a year and a half ago, so I have a brand new 20/20 vision so that might affect my judgement on optics.

Enjoy glassing everyone!
Vortex makes great binoculars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back