• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail/Pipit from Netherlands (1 Viewer)

MaxesTaxes

Netherlands
Hi everyone,
Having a hard time identifying this juvenile(?) wagtail/pipit I saw yesterday at Driemanspolder, Zoetermeer, Netherlands.
I feel like it looks like a weird cross between a White Wagtail (Motacilla alba), a Western Yellow Wagtail (M. flava), and a Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) without fitting any of the species perfectly.
The environment was a wetland with lots of waders which makes me want to rule out Meadow Pipit, however I don't believe either of the Motacilla species (both of which were common yesterday) ever have such pronounced and contrasting light/dark "moustaches" lining the bottom of their cheeks.
My best guess is that it's a juvenile Western Yellow Wagtail, despite being a bit too brown, but I'm very unsure of this.
Maybe some weird hybrid??
Thanks,
Max

Attachments

• P1320771 (2).JPG
    P1320771 (2).JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 102
Hello Max,
no you should trust your gut feeling, a result of your experience. Its a juvenile Yellow Wagtail for me too
Ok thanks. I do usually trust my gut in situations like these, but given that Wednesday was my first time ever seeing Western Yellow Wagtails (they're not common in the UK), I wanted to remain more careful and ask for a second opinion.

Ok thanks. I do usually trust my gut in situations like these, but given that Wednesday was my first time ever seeing Western Yellow Wagtails (they're not common in the UK), I wanted to remain more careful and ask for a second opinion.
Not common? Seem to be pretty regular where I am.

Not common? Seem to be pretty regular where I am.
I think he means that flava flava is not common in UK. subsp. flavissima is common.
Certainly not common in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, nor parts of western England. A yellow wagtail of any subspecies would be an exciting find over at least half the UK!

Last edited:
Certainly not common in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, nor parts of western England. A yellow wagtail of any subspecies would be an exciting find over at least half the UK!
Yes exactly! I'm in the Bristol region and have never seen any Yellow Wagtails in the area; I also pretty much never see one reported on any of the eBird checklists, so I assume it's not just due to me. Gray Wagtails and Pied Wagtails are both common here, but not Yellows.
I was actually unaware that they were seen more regularly in other parts of England, so perhaps I should have been more specific in my original reply @Bewick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back