• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wahlberg Eagle ? (1 Viewer)

Mpcwatts

Hi
Saw this guy in Kruger NP , South Africa last fall. I think its a Whalbergs ?
UNiform light brown top, white underbelly
Thanks
mike

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 132
Bill looks too heavy for Wahlberg's, Steppe or dark Tawny for me
Does not look juvenile but rather second year with dark eye, rather long gape so Steppe may be the better option
Always difficult when sitting

Did you see it flying? the very straight, narrow, parallel sided wings are a good character. I'm surprised Tom suggests Steppe, can they have white undertail coverts?

I wasn't making any judgement about what the species in the picture was. I asked a question. Can Steppe Eagles have pure white UTC's as in the picture, because I wasn't aware that they could and hadn't seen one like that. I haven't seen a light phase Wahlberg's either. Like you I'm was willing to learn something new.

Last edited:
The jaw line in my photo extends to the back of the eye, in the wahlbergs it looks to go to the middle of the eye. Ther seems to be several examples of steppe eagles with white under tail feathers in the comments and in web search photos.

I am leaning towards Steppe .... Thanks for all your help. This is my first try on this site ... Great fun !
Mike

Hi all,

Well that's definitely not a Wahlberg's: too bulky; bill too powerfull. Really, ruling out this species isn't the issue here.
As Tom said this is an immature, probably 2cy (or possibly 3cy?). And it's either a Tawny or a Steppe.

The tail pattern might favour Steppe because most African Tawny eagles have a plainer tail in juvenile plumage (yet, can we be sure the tail is still juvenile on this image?). But on the other hand, the pattern of the lesser wing coverts is perhaps better for Tawny (the majority of 2cy Steppe shwo more uniform coverts without the paler fringes).

Is there any other image where the bill/head shape can be seen a little better? Even judging the gape length is very difficult on this image.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back