• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wakkerstroom area South Africa Oct 22 (2 Viewers)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this bird? Taken in Wakkerstroom area South Africa Oct
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT03131-D.jpg
    CAT03131-D.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CAT03132-D.jpg
    CAT03132-D.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 16
Surely that has a longer tail, clearer rufous head
Immatures have shorter tails I believe, the red on the face and head seems to significant for cloud or wind-snapping I would have thought.

Edit- wing-snapping does seem like another good possibility however the tail length also seems wrong, from pictures the wing-snapping's tail seems too short in comparison with the cisticola in op's pic.

Last edited:
Immatures have shorter tails I believe, the red on the face and head seems to significant for cloud or wind-snapping I would have thought.

Edit- wind-snapping does seem like another good possibility however the tail length also seems wrong, from pictures the wind-snapping's tail seems too short in comparison with the cisticola in op's pic.
Just looking in the sasol app photos and it doesn't show extensive red as we see here for levaillants. It has a photo of a juvenile with even less rufous. Maybe ebird photos will prove me wrong, but I feel jizz is wrong for that species where even juvenile seems more elongate

Just looking in the sasol app photos and it doesn't show extensive red as we see here for levaillants. It has a photo of a juvenile with even less rufous. Maybe ebird photos will prove me wrong, but I feel jizz is wrong for that species where even juvenile seems more elongate
Not sure what you're deciding on here but I think this bird is a pretty clear Levaillant's. It's much too long-tailed for Wing-snapping or other short-tailed cisticolas. According to Chamberlain, their tail feathers should be shorter than the tertials. The tail feathers here are around 1.5x the length of the tertials, which is better for a long-tailed species. The extensive thick black streaks on the mantle and black centred greater coverts, as well as the fine streaking on the rump and rufous wing panel all point towards Levaillant's. Lots of pictures here:

I'm leaning towards Levaillant's, bill colour and structure, very pale underparts, why does it have white feather edges on the back?
Agreed, cloud-snapping would have buff feather edges on the back- while op's bird has pale/white feather edges on the back.

I've looked at ebird photos now and agree it must be levaillants.

I'd note, though, that wing-snapping's tail can be longer than stated in this thread. Look at ebird headline photo 2, for example, where tail roughly = wing length

I've looked at ebird photos now and agree it must be levaillants.

I'd note, though, that wing-snapping's tail can be longer than stated in this thread. Look at ebird headline photo 2, for example, where tail roughly = wing length
The proportions I gave from Chamberlain are averages. On the same page there's a table showing how variable in length cisticola tails can be, particularly in the longer tailed species such as Levaillant's. Wing-snapping is mentioned as the shortest tailed species, on average.

The proportions I gave from Chamberlain are averages. On the same page there's a table showing how variable in length cisticola tails can be, particularly in the longer tailed species such as Levaillant's. Wing-snapping is mentioned as the shortest tailed species, on average.
There's also the ebird comment that tail length is longer in the non-breeding season (presumably short now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back