• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wakkerstroom area South Africa Oct 22 a (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this bird? Taken in Wakkerstroom area South Africa Oct
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT02872-D.jpg
    CAT02872-D.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CAT02876-D.jpg
    CAT02876-D.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 10
Thanks The Fern. I have Merlin and use it, but find the pic recognition is poor for South Africa, as it was for Argentina.

Thanks The Fern. I have Merlin and use it, but find the pic recognition is poor for South Africa, as it was for Argentina.
Yes I wouldn't rely on its automated image recognition (I never do), but the photos themselves are useful and especially so in combination with a field guide. You first have to narrow possibilities down, of course. Once I've done that I often forensically go through each possibility in the field guide and merlin in concert until I get a best guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back