• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus now in Northumberland? (1 Viewer)

Truly an appalling action by Norwegian authorities. UK, France and Spain all managed to coexist with the visiting Walrus, but the 'advanced' nation of Norway could not see fit to celebrate the arrival of this animal, or at least tolerate it until it departed.

Given this Walrus was apparently popular, why weren't the Norwegian public up in arms when the authorities announcing they would kill it?

Shame on Norway, shame on the public for allowing it to happen. Absolutely no excuse, police the folk getting too close if deemed necessary.
You can add the Netherlands to the countries managing the walrus's visit in an animal-friendly manner, with access restrictions in place to ensure it could rest.
As the animal was obviously popular with the Norwegians, I assume there will be anger there.
Appalling decision making by the Norwegian authorities.

So if the Norwegian (or visiting) public decided to head up to the North Cape or Spitzbergen to see Walruses, would the Norwegian Government decide to eliminate their entire population?

Unbelievably crass barbarity.

John

Out of interest does anybody know if there was any/;much opposition to the euthanasia plan? If this had been in the U.K there would have definitely been people getting involved to try and stop this. I'm not keen on tarring the whole of a countries population with the same brush but to.just let this happen! It isn't like there wasn't prior warning of the actions taken.

Also, does it make it any less heinous that the animal was " euthenised " in their words rather than killed. Not being pedantic I just really object to their government trying to make the situation sound far less horrendous than it was.

Mind you I recall that a Polar Bear was shot in Iceland a few years back, even thought (I think) it was a long way from any centre of population.

They didn't want to relocate the animal fearing its health might be,negatively impacted ffs!
Nothing negatively impacts health like a bullet to the head. I'm not sure why, but I kind of want to know what happened to the body afterwards

Other thread is now locked (not posted on here before & not sure if reply to the above is best way to do so), anyway:

here press release from Norwegian Fisheries via London Embassy:

www.fiskeridir.no/Yrkesfiske/Nyheter/2022/walrus-in-oslo-fjord-is-euthanized

Note, the apparent complete lack of effort or willingness to properly consider what would actually be quite straightforward options to manage the situation and the unecessarily precipitous move to a more 'convenient' end in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Such a very sad end to a wonderful animal, that gave pleasure to very many people, not to forget its own right simply to exist.

Other thread is now locked (not posted on here before & not sure if reply to the above is best way to do so), anyway:

here press release from Norwegian Fisheries via London Embassy:

www.fiskeridir.no/Yrkesfiske/Nyheter/2022/walrus-in-oslo-fjord-is-euthanized

Note, the apparent complete lack of effort or willingness to properly consider what would actually be quite straightforward options to manage the situation and the unecessarily precipitous move to a more 'convenient' end in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Such a very sad end to a wonderful animal, that gave pleasure to very many people, not to forget its own right simply to exist.
apologies if this posted elsewhere:

www.euronews.com/travel/2022/08/15/freya-the-walruss-death-blamed-on-crowds-of-tourists-who-refused-to-keep-their-distance

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back