• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - Central Park, New York earlier this morning (2 Viewers)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers!

Three days in Central Park and there have been many warblers. Not easy to get pictures when they jump between the blue sky or dark back ground in the foliage.

Picture 1 and 2 are very over exposed as I took the picture against the light, the closes I can find in my book is the Yellow-throated Warbler. But the head and wings have no white what I can see. Is it possible to give any ID of this bird from this very poor pictures.

Picture #3, i thought it was a Chestnut-sided Warbler as I was off road taking pictures and a sound recording in the bushes. There was a Yellow-warbler and the Chestnut sided and I only got pictures of the Chestnut-sided as I was recording and could not take picture of the yellow-warbler.

Back at the hotel and I see that the 3rd picture is not a Chestnut-sided as picture #4 as reference together with the sound recording

It looks like the bird have a little square yellow "BIB" and I cannot find any warbler in my book looking like this. Is it possible to ID this bird?

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• xxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxx.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 55
  • xxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 1018.jpg
    1018.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1017.jpg
    1017.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Chestnut-sided Warbler.mp3
    524.1 KB
Warblers are the best! Glad you found some nice ones.
Photos 1-3 all show a Nothern Parula. Note yellow throat with thin dark band, white underparts, white wing bar, and partial white eye ring.
Photo 4 is a lovely Chestnut-sided Warbler as you said

Warblers are the best! Glad you found some nice ones.
Photos 1-3 all show a Nothern Parula. Note yellow throat with thin dark band, white underparts, white wing bar, and partial white eye ring.
Photo 4 is a lovely Chestnut-sided Warbler as you said
Thank you Barbets48!

Highly appreciated!

I spotted one Northern Parula at the Tulip Tree at the Great Hill yesterday and it was quite easy to ID with the book. But this 2 with these pictures and it would have been impossible for me.

Now I will go to the airport and I have spent 6 weeks in USA and Canada and it have been fantastic, especially the immigration in Texas. Bird watching everyday so it will also be nice to relax a little from the bird watching before I get out in Thailand to look for birds again.

I have had a lot of help from my book and the very nice and friendly bird watchers I have meet here in USA.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards and Happy Birding!
Aladdin

It sounds like you had a really great trip Aladdin! I'm really happy for you. Have a safe flight home and good birding!

It sounds like you had a really great trip Aladdin! I'm really happy for you. Have a safe flight home and good birding!
Thanks Andy Hurley!

Just landed in Singapore after 18 hours NON STOP in the air. One night at the airport hotel before going home early morning.

Yes, I had the time of my life even if I had to be out looking for birds every day for 6 weeks. But if I decided to rest one day I was soon missing it and I went out to look for birds, rest when I get home. A lot of fantastic people on the trails and:
194 Lifers 176 With picture and 37 with sound recording and a total of 231 species in USA.

In Canada I had 7 Lifers 8 With picture and 8 with sound recording and a total of 50 Species. There have been many more but I have a rule, I should see the bird, I good look and I should have been able to ID the bird if I knew the bird.

Many times my Guides ask why I don't report birds they have pointed out with ID and I say that for me that bird could as well have been a sea gull.

I was in my first ever group birding tour and they had 200++ species and I had 70

So a clear view and I am very happy with my result. And USA have now come up to #2 country with most lifers and birds in one trip.

Ethiopia is still #1 with 205 Lifers in 22 days

Thank you everyone on the forum for help with my sometimes stupid questions. With out birdforum there would have been many birds without ID. And also, I learned about Merlin app here on birdforum and I have also used this for the first time in North America and I have had help from the app with pictures and sound even though we understand the limits with many species.

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Many times my Guides ask why I don't report birds they have pointed out with ID and I say that for me that bird could as well have been a sea gull.
Good for you! I believe one should never take guides' identifications at face value. I have never met anyone who did not make mistakes... ...I make loads. So I only count what the guide says if I see it and agree

Thank you everyone on the forum for help with my sometimes stupid questions
There are never stupid questions, only stupid answers. Younger people often don't ask the necessary questions and make mistakes as a consequence. I'm not taking about birding now. They are sometimes afraid of looking stupid in the eyes of their peers, teachers. or family. As far a birding goes, nobody knows everything about every species. There is always something new to learn. I don't think that it is possible to see every species in every plumage and every state of wear, even for exceedingly rich people with expert guides in every village, waiting to take you to where the rarest species in the world are found.

Last edited:
Stay safe, and please don't hesitate to post one of your pictures in the Gallery from time to time if you want to!
Thank you!

I have not posted any picture for a while now, but I will do as soon as I have something to to post

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back