• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID Algarve (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I saw these at Vilamoura Reed beds in Vilamoura. Are they willow warbler, chiffchaff or neither?

Attachments

• Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 78
Common Chiffchaff - short PP, weakish head pattern, darkish legs....

Tme of year is always a good clue in the Algarve, we have 3 regular "willowchiffs":

Common Chiffchaff: Abundant winter and passage visitor in almost all habitats inc. humanised. Arrives in numbers from late Sept/early Oct. They disappear north through March mainly.

Iberian Chiffchaff: Migrant breeder - first arrive late Feb - but mainly through March - tend to not to appear on the coast in the spring but straight into breeding habitat inland, which is Cork Oak dominated hill country inland - especially valley bottoms. Through August and most of Sept. its a fairly common passage migrant along the coast out of habitat - its handy that CC is almost unknown in this period..

Willow Warbler: A passage migrant. In the spring we get a good sprinkling of northbound birds through late March into May. In the autumn however, Aug-Oct its an often abundant bird anywhere!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you once again Simon for the very informative reply. I will take your information in mind on my Algarve visits in the future. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back