• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler in Lindisfarne, Northumberland (1 Viewer)

Alex-al

United Kingdom
Hello! I had a lovely bird day on Holy Island, Lindisfarne today and came across two of these tiny birds (wren sized or smaller), very plain brown back and pale front, flitting restlessly in the trees and hedges. Research suggests they were garden or reed warblers but I'm not sure which and apparently these are only in the UK in summer so I'm wondering if anyone has insight to share?

Thanks!
IMG_20231103_191138_144.jpg

IMG_20231103_191138_267.jpg

Welcome to Birdforum Alex, your little flitters are Chiffchaff, although small they’re bigger than Wren and often the latest of the warblers to hang on into the cold weather!
Oh interesting! It was definitely smaller than chiffchaffs I've seen and I thought they normally have yellow/greenish bits whereas this was very plain brown/cream.

Hello! I had a lovely bird day on Holy Island, Lindisfarne today and came across two of these tiny birds (wren sized or smaller), very plain brown back and pale front, flitting restlessly in the trees and hedges. Research suggests they were garden or reed warblers but I'm not sure which and apparently these are only in the UK in summer so I'm wondering if anyone has insight to share?
Size eliminates Garden and Reed (which would be bigger than Wren or Chiffchaff).

Migrants from the east can still be coming through, and increasing numbers of Chiffchaff do overwinter in the UK, especially in the southern half. Given it is late autumn and they were on the east coast presumably migrants from further afield rather than British breeders.

They do look rather brown (other races of Chiffchaff occur, which appear different from the regular UK breeders). Is that a camera pic or zoomed in? Do you have better quality/the originals, or other pics??

And welcome to BF ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back