• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Road Virginia (1 Viewer)

swamper15

Swamper15
Just wanted to say what a great place you Virginians have for Warblers, specifically the Warbler Road birding route off of the Blue Ridge parkway. I went there and was totally amazed at the diversity of Warblers in the area... Canada, Black-and-White, Cerulean, Black-throated Blue, Black-thorated Green, Worm-eating, Louisiana Waterthrush. Plus it is just beautiful country up there and my trip at the begining of May 2009 was one of my best birding trips. Just love that area.

I will definitely be going back next year. Here's some photos of the few warblers I was quick enough to get... Warbler Road.

I intend to stay longer the next time I visit!

Great photos! I live right next to Warbler Road and go there all the time. You're missing a few species on the list, though. Yellow-rumped Warblers are abundant on Arcadia and Solitude Roads during migration, and the Roanoke Valley Bird Club site states that Northern Waterthrush and Yellow-throated Warblers can be found at Solitude Swamp and along the James River, respectively. Also, Connecticut Warblers are theoretically possible in the fall, and most of the birds on the migration list are more likely to be encountered during that time of the year (though I was lucky enough to see a Nashville and a Tennessee Warbler on Flat Top Mountain this spring). Worthy of mention, Palm Warblers are predictable during fall migration in the pasture across from the boat landing parking lot and at Sunset Field. You would have to be pretty lucky to see some of those species on the breeding list, though, particularly Blue-winged, Golden-winged, Mourning, and Swainson's Warblers. Still, it's a great area to bird in season.

I had high hopes for Golden-winged and Blue-winged. The problem with those two is the scrubby field environment where they live can change after a year or two and grow up with trees. I think those two are always on the move because the habitat they prefer usually changes.

One species I expected to see near Solitude Swamp was a Prothonotary Wabler. Never came across one.

Great photos! I live right next to Warbler Road and go there all the time. You're missing a few species on the list, though. Yellow-rumped Warblers are abundant on Arcadia and Solitude Roads during migration, and the Roanoke Valley Bird Club site states that Northern Waterthrush and Yellow-throated Warblers can be found at Solitude Swamp and along the James River, respectively. Also, Connecticut Warblers are theoretically possible in the fall, and most of the birds on the migration list are more likely to be encountered during that time of the year (though I was lucky enough to see a Nashville and a Tennessee Warbler on Flat Top Mountain this spring). Worthy of mention, Palm Warblers are predictable during fall migration in the pasture across from the boat landing parking lot and at Sunset Field. You would have to be pretty lucky to see some of those species on the breeding list, though, particularly Blue-winged, Golden-winged, Mourning, and Swainson's Warblers. Still, it's a great area to bird in season.

I had high hopes for Golden-winged and Blue-winged. The problem with those two is the scrubby field environment where they live can change after a year or two and grow up with trees. I think those two are always on the move because the habitat they prefer usually changes.

One species I expected to see near Solitude Swamp was a Prothonotary Wabler. Never came across one.
I hear you on the Prothonotary Warblers. I've been there several times and have neither seen nor heard one. Unfortunately, they just don't breed too much in the mountains out here, though there are eBird records of them at the Peaks of Otter Recreation Area. By the way, I can't stop looking at those photos. They're breathtaking! Better than any field guide.

I hear you on the Prothonotary Warblers. I've been there several times and have neither seen nor heard one. Unfortunately, they just don't breed too much in the mountains out here, though there are eBird records of them at the Peaks of Otter Recreation Area. By the way, I can't stop looking at those photos. They're breathtaking! Better than any field guide.

Thanks for the comment on the photos. Of course for every photo that looks ok, I have a 100 of the same subject that is terrible.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back