• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Washington State in late JUne (1 Viewer)

Ian Lewis

aka Gryllo
Europe
HI there,

I'm a birder from the UK. I've been to the ABA area on lots of occasions but never to the US states of Montana and Washington.

I'll be driving from Yellowstone to Seattle in late June and would be interested in seeing the following species most which would all be life birds for me:

Dusky Grouse
Mountain Pygmy Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Varied Thrush (I've seen a leucistic one in the UK but never a normal plumaged bird)
The Slate-coloured form of Fox Sparrow (treated as a full species by IOC)

Any help with good sites for these species would be gratefully received. I understand that June isn't the best month to be looking for grouse and owls but it has to fit in with other plans for the trip.

Best wishes

Ian Lewis

I've seen most of your target species (two of which were in Oregon), but hopefully this information helps overall:
  • Dusky Grouse: almost guaranteed in Sun Mountain Lodge in Eastern Washington
  • Mountain Pygmy-Owl: too far North for this one, they are only found from Arizona and New Mexico south to Central Mexico
  • Northern Saw-whet Owl: never seen this species, you might be best off checking on eBird for the most recent sightings based on where/when you visit the week of
  • Varied Thrush: if you want to visit Glacier National Park, at the time of year for your visit, they are pretty vocal in the Avalanche Creek Campground and the Avalanche Lake Trail. Outside of those, go to high elevation and listen for their song
  • Slate-colored Fox Sparrow: hard to predict, best I can advise is to look at eBird reports within the area and chase any potential Fox Sparrow sightings, if you want to drive a bit south, they are reported to breed in Grand Teton National Park.

The only place I've actually seen a Saw-whet was at Reifel Bird Santuary just North of the border in B.C. It's been a while since I've been there as I've moved South but they were regularly available. It's well worth a trip North if you have the time. The Boundary Bay area is quite good.

I've seen most of your target species (two of which were in Oregon), but hopefully this information helps overall:
  • Dusky Grouse: almost guaranteed in Sun Mountain Lodge in Eastern Washington
  • Mountain Pygmy-Owl: too far North for this one, they are only found from Arizona and New Mexico south to Central Mexico
  • Northern Saw-whet Owl: never seen this species, you might be best off checking on eBird for the most recent sightings based on where/when you visit the week of
  • Varied Thrush: if you want to visit Glacier National Park, at the time of year for your visit, they are pretty vocal in the Avalanche Creek Campground and the Avalanche Lake Trail. Outside of those, go to high elevation and listen for their song
  • Slate-colored Fox Sparrow: hard to predict, best I can advise is to look at eBird reports within the area and chase any potential Fox Sparrow sightings, if you want to drive a bit south, they are reported to breed in Grand Teton National Park.
Thanks,

I'm afraid I was thinking of the wrong part of the Pygmy-owl split. I meant Northern Pygmy Owl the one that does occur in WA. I have seen the southern Mountain Pygmy-owl in AZ a long time ago.

I'll look up Glacier NP and Sun Mountain Lodge.

We will be staying a night in Grand Teton NP on our way north to Yellowstone.

Ian

Thanks,

I'm afraid I was thinking of the wrong part of the Pygmy-owl split. I meant Northern Pygmy Owl the one that does occur in WA. I have seen the southern Mountain Pygmy-owl in AZ a long time ago.

I'll look up Glacier NP and Sun Mountain Lodge.

We will be staying a night in Grand Teton NP on our way north to Yellowstone.

Ian
Then my advise for Saw-whet Owl applies for the Northern Pygmy-Owl too, look at reports. One thing I will consider a plus, is that Pygmy-Owls tend to be diurnal, so no worries about them only being active late at night.

Please avoid using playback for them though, Pygmy-Owls are painfully territorial during nesting season, which results in parents abandoning their chicks trying to deal with the "rival owl" for a couple of hours non-stop, which is lethal for the chicks.

Then my advise for Saw-whet Owl applies for the Northern Pygmy-Owl too, look at reports. One thing I will consider a plus, is that Pygmy-Owls tend to be diurnal, so no worries about them only being active late at night.

Please avoid using playback for them though, Pygmy-Owls are painfully territorial during nesting season, which results in parents abandoning their chicks trying to deal with the "rival owl" for a couple of hours non-stop, which is lethal for the chicks.

That's good to know, thanks for the advice

Ian

The only place I've actually seen a Saw-whet was at Reifel Bird Santuary just North of the border in B.C. It's been a while since I've been there as I've moved South but they were regularly available. It's well worth a trip North if you have the time. The Boundary Bay area is quite good.
Sorry, I failed to register the month you'll be traveling. No Saw-whet at Reifel in June I'm afraid. Still a great area to visit.

I forgot to add one more species to my wish list:

Sooty Grouse.

I take it I need to go to Olympic National Park or are they visible in the western Cascades?

Thank you

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back