• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp doing Yoga ID? (Brampton Wood, Cambridgeshire) (June) (2 Viewers)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Found this wasp, lots of diagnostic detail and I cannot find anything like it anywhere.

Could you guys please take a look and give me some idea?

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 23
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 24
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 23
It does say it is just an introduction, and there's a link to an indentification key - Identification key to the subfamilies of Ichneumonidae (Hymenoptera) | Nocturnal Ichneumonoidea of the British Isles
I took a look at the key, I must admit I struggle with them. It may be because I am not the guy who will take specimens to study and perhaps keys are more usefull in this scenario. May be I am just not bright enough to follow them well?
I appreciate your help though. Gareth

I took a look at the key, I must admit I struggle with them. It may be because I am not the guy who will take specimens to study and perhaps keys are more usefull in this scenario. May be I am just not bright enough to follow them well?
I appreciate your help though. Gareth
Yeah, I'm not great using keys either. If you're on Twitter/Facebook there is probably someone on there with the breadth of knowledge that you require to get you closer to a firm ID. I'd suggest finding suitable #tags and trying to get traffic to your photos to help with an ID. If you're not, then how about a local naturalists group - there might be someone who is into insects there? Another suggestion would be to hunt through Steven Falk's Flickr albums for a match (I'm not sure what he has in there but the guy really knows his stuff).https://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/albums/page1
Hope you find an answer somewhere.

Yeah, I'm not great using keys either. If you're on Twitter/Facebook there is probably someone on there with the breadth of knowledge that you require to get you closer to a firm ID. I'd suggest finding suitable #tags and trying to get traffic to your photos to help with an ID. If you're not, then how about a local naturalists group - there might be someone who is into insects there? Another suggestion would be to hunt through Steven Falk's Flickr albums for a match (I'm not sure what he has in there but the guy really knows his stuff).https://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/albums/page1
Hope you find an answer somewhere.
Thanks for your advice. I think Steven has avoided this area, at least on his Flickr page. I use it as a resource and for me it is very useful although far from fool proof consideriung my lack of knowledge.
The problem is that I find these particular insects very interesting, especially from a photographic point of view and it is a it frustrating not being able to label it and put it in a box but the most important thing was that I got to watch this wasp doing it's thing for 2 or 3 minutes and it was facinating. And for me, that's what it is about.
Thanks again. Gareth

I a found very similar species a few years ago , I finally ID it as Ephialtes manifestator , I of course was told that it could not be a definitive ID , it was close enough for me though . Yours maybe the same family .

Last edited:
I a found very similar species a few years ago , I finally ID it as Ephialtes manifestator , I of course was told that it could not be a definitive ID , it was close enough for me though . Yours maybe the same family .
Thanks Creaturesnapper. I will look into this. Just getting a possible family is a step forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back