• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings feeding on Larch (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
I saw a flock of 22 Waxwings here in Aberdeen this morning and noticed they were feeding on Larch buds (not sure if that's the correct term but hopefully you know what I mean). This isn't something I've ever seen them do before and I wondered whether others had or if any of the literature comments on it.

There are some photos by Graham Catley on Surfbirds of waxwings in Lincolnshire eating poplar buds, which is the same concept. Were your birds perched, as the photos show them plucking them off in flight ...

Rob

Hi Rob,

These birds were perched in the tree and were picking off the buds just as if they were eating berries. There are still a few berries around but I guess the Waxwings just prefer the buds. It's perhaps not a surprising food source, given that they would normally be in boreal forests and that berries are likely to be running thin by late winter.

Probably going for cone buds, those are rich in protein (pollen, etc). Crossbills also do so.

I've also seen Waxwings eating poplar catkins quite regularly at this time of year

On the subject of Waxwings, I've heard of the invasion but not seen any. Does anyone know of any in the Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire areas just now?

Only in Bucks by the look of it:

17 March: 50 Amersham hospital around the car park
16 March: 25 between Amersham and Little Chalfont by White Lion Road (there had been 65 there on the previous day and 95 the day before that, at 67 White Lion Road)
15 March: 16 in Aylesbury ay 35 Thame Road at 3.30 pm (there were at least 2 in the area the previous day)
15 March: 150+ Milton Keynes in Oldbrook off Underwood Place at 12.15 pm
15 March: 69 Milton Keynes in Shenley Brook between Cressley Avenue and Tesco car park at 10.06 am (there had been 32 there at 8.51 am)

The Commodore said:
On the subject of Waxwings, I've heard of the invasion but not seen any. Does anyone know of any in the Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire areas just now?

They've been seen quite regularly in various parts of Northampton, but there don't seem to have been many reported in the last few days. I expect they're still around though. They've been seen around Harlestone Firs, King's Heath, Booth Lane (where my mum saw them!) and the town centre.

Brilliant afternoon!! Saw 25-30 waxwings land on a rowan tree opposite my house and managed to capture the moment on camcorder. About 30 minutes later they re-appeared on the same tree before flying over to our acacia tree in the front garden, 15 foot from the bedroom window where I was recording them. My mother had gone to a local country park and missed them.....I phoned her to tell her my news and she was gutted.....unfortunately they had gone by the time she got home. Hopefully they will be back soon (Mom hopes!!). Great for the BTO recording!!

Emma said:
Brilliant afternoon!! Saw 25-30 waxwings land on a rowan tree opposite my house and managed to capture the moment on camcorder. About 30 minutes later they re-appeared on the same tree before flying over to our acacia tree in the front garden, 15 foot from the bedroom window where I was recording them. My mother had gone to a local country park and missed them.....I phoned her to tell her my news and she was gutted.....unfortunately they had gone by the time she got home. Hopefully they will be back soon (Mom hopes!!). Great for the BTO recording!!

Congratulations on your sighting, Emma, and a warm welcome to BirdForum.

James

Just to resurrect this thread on the theme of 'what Waxwings are eating', the flocks I've seen in the last week (three of them) have been feeding on the flowers of deciduous trees - I think mostly sycamores, although I'm not that good on trees without leaves. So if you've seen Waxwings lately what have they been eating?

WAXWINGS - i haven`t seen such huge numbers ever here in Scotland, but that may just be down to the fact i`ve covered lot a lot of ground this winter. Not sure if
they were eating buds, but definetly no berries on the trees they`ve been in around Glasgow the past week or so (40 - 50). Can anyone tell me when they should be leaving us , i was thinking they should have been well east by now?

Does anyone know- is this late for them to still be here?
Still not sure which trees the waxwings were in - they have small red leaves. Seen the same flock today in Glasgow , this time in roadside bushes not far from the previous trees. Was driving by though and unable to check if they were feeding.

Hoorah - Ticked my first Willow Warbler of the year this weekend.
Boo hoo - Still waiting on swift returning to nest in church opposite.

Stuart Watson said:
Does anyone know- is this late for them to still be here?
It's not unprecedented and, given the numbers that were around last winter, it's not surprising that birds are still around. Spring must arrive late on their breeding grounds. I think in past years the latest records have been around mid-May, but I haven't double-checked extensively.

thanks Bluetail - ive no info in my out dated field guide regarding this, and its been puzzling me for ages. Wouldnt it be great if some stayed to breed - and if that happened would they then be wintering in Ireland? ive heard of the odd wintering thrush staying on to nest, but never waxys. Maybe they`ve been waiting for the best weather - soon see if theyre still here in a fortnight, unlikely though. any reports from further west?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back