• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Webcam observations. Is this really the place? (1 Viewer)

John B (not the sloop)

Don't blame me I didn't vote for 'em
Ok - I'm probably going to regret this and will end up changing my name and living on a small island in a bunker somewhere, but here goes.

Is it really productive use of the BoP forum to post a running commentary every time a webcam somewhere records a nesting owl, kestrel, osprey or whatever sneezing, having a scratch, or even having lunch?

There's a lot going on in the bird of prey world be it illegal persecution, reintroduction projects, unexpected sightings, new patterns of behaviour etc etc, and it would be so easy to miss an interesting new thread because it's been submerged under a barrage of updates regarding Bertie the Barn Owl's feather care regiime.

Sorry - this sounds rather po faced, and I'm sure that these webcam event commentaries give pleasure to many, but how about a dedicated forum for them?

Ok I'll shut up now...... |8||

Ok - I'm probably going to regret this and will end up changing my name and living on a small island in a bunker somewhere, but here goes.

Is it really productive use of the BoP forum to post a running commentary every time a webcam somewhere records a nesting owl, kestrel, osprey or whatever sneezing, having a scratch, or even having lunch?

There's a lot going on in the bird of prey world be it illegal persecution, reintroduction projects, unexpected sightings, new patterns of behaviour etc etc, and it would be so easy to miss an interesting new thread because it's been submerged under a barrage of updates regarding Bertie the Barn Owl's feather care regiime.

Sorry - this sounds rather po faced, and I'm sure that these webcam event commentaries give pleasure to many, but how about a dedicated forum for them?

:t:

the web cam threads have always been here so i am puzzled. If there was dozens of web cam pages i might agree but there's not. Is it really too much hard work to scroll down to find a thread or why not start a thread stipulating no updates about whats happening on the nest. I tell you what though i.ve learned more from fellow web cam posters than i could have anywhere else. Like i say my suggestion is start an osprey/owl/kestrel thread just for those who don't watch the web cams. Bird forum is great for the avid bird watchers and for the casual ones like myself. So sorry i disagree :)

Last edited:
just checked and there's 3 (three) web cams threads on this page. Easy enough to just bypass those threads and just ignore our waffling.

Well, I'm relatively new here but since I'm one of the ones enjoying the nest webcam observation posts, I'd like to say:

I am not insensitive to the opinion that perhaps our (my) postings are annoying others. If the birdforum owners would like to relocate webcam posting threads to another part of the forum that's fine, of course.

I'd also like to say that I'm very glad there are people like the original poster who are very current on crucial current events regarding our bird friends and raptors in particular.

But, it seems to me this forum is a very large forum and the members encompass an extremely wide array of types who are interested in birds. Everything from the greenest beginner all the way to people who have dedicated their lives and energies to birds.

Isn't there room for all of us?

I, like Cosworthlady (Ann), have learned so much through almost daily readings/postings at the webcam observation threads. I'm quite a novice birdwatcher, and being stuck at work all day this is a wonderful way for me to be able to do a little birdwatching on the side.

You never know, one of us who starts out as a nestcam observer may become so enamored and impassioned that we may become activists as well to protect these wonderful creatures.

If the webcam ones bother you so much why are you bothering reading them! I used to regularly look at both the Loch Garten and Loch of the Lowes but when Marge [female bird at LL] took ill a few weeks ago I stoped reading them..it was as easy as that.

There are quite a few sections on here that I dont have time for but I dont even bother to look at them and just go straight past them.

I'm also new to the forum, and blogs etc, and i was directed to BF because of the wealth of information here. Surely the whole point is that there is something here for all levels of interest, from the most avid to the more casual (like myself). My main interest is in Birds of Prey, and surely it's enough that there dedicated threads for the likes of LOTL, and now the owl cams? I don't have to troll through other stuff to find what i'm looking for, so i don't understand how any of it is "in your way" - if you're reading it, you must have clicked on it!
It's the best source of information i've found, and it's been invaluable to me, as i've learned so much, and in an informal, friendly format - can't see what the problem is!

I must say I do get quite concerned by people like yourself. It would appear you are a seasoned bird watcher - however, think back to when you first got interested in bird.s Did you not marvel at how 'Bertie the Owl' preened his feathers etc. It is called enthusiasm, and just a simple case of people learning. How are people going to recognised new behaviour patterns if they cannot discuss them and then in turn be advised that it was 'normal' or unusual. Another thing you seem to overlook is, we cannot all live in the Stroud Valleys. Some people live in Cities, and these webcams and forums are the nearest they are going to get to 'the real' thing.

There are many posts I skip, as one can easily get the gist of things within the first couple of lines.

Try to be more understanding my friend - I doubt if someone like yourself will miss anything important, after all, it would appear you check everything.

Just got off the small boat. En-route to the bunker now. I don't recall ever saying let's ditch this running commentary stuff. I believe I said that maybe it should have its own forum (which need not be confined to birds of prey). Win-Win surely...

Anyway, the light is fading and I have this big steel door to drag open so g'night all.:-C

Just got off the small boat. En-route to the bunker now. I don't recall ever saying let's ditch this running commentary stuff. I believe I said that maybe it should have its own forum (which need not be confined to birds of prey). Win-Win surely...

Anyway, the light is fading and I have this big steel door to drag open so g'night all.:-C

Chuckle.

DS

wouldn't object to a separate forum :) something for the mods to consider. Like your new signature by the way.

the web cam threads have always been here so i am puzzled. If there was dozens of web cam pages i might agree but there's not. Is it really too much hard work to scroll down to find a thread or why not start a thread stipulating no updates about whats happening on the nest. I tell you what though i.ve learned more from fellow web cam posters than i could have anywhere else. Like i say my suggestion is start an osprey/owl/kestrel thread just for those who don't watch the web cams. Bird forum is great for the avid bird watchers and for the casual ones like myself. So sorry i disagree :)

Yes I agree with you Ann. We been doing webcams obs for many years now!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back