• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weird looking mystery bird (1 Viewer)

G509

United States
Hello, I've been sitting on this for too long and it needs some new eyeballs to have a look at it.

DSCN1819.png
DSCN1824.png

Where: Sellersville, Pennsylvania. When: 5/12/2020 Size: this was a large bird and we think it was something in the range of a large hawk, eagle, cormorant. Not knowing which species it was made it difficult to dial in the size but this was definitely not smaller than a large hawk.
Context: I live in the woods. It circled my house and over our heads once or maybe a few times, hard to recall, but it gave me enough time to fire off a few shots and a video. Unfortunately I was still learning how to use my new Nikon P1000 (long-time Canon dslr user) so the zoom, focus and exposure could've been better.

A chimera of a bird. The neck is long, the head is flat and/or seems to end abruptly, the wings have unique dimensions as does the tail and its flight is bizarre.
I've searched North/South America for a fit to no avail.

Had to split the video in 2 parts. Second half is less shaky.
First half Second half

The images at the top are cropped versions and the others below are uncropped lightly-edited versions from the original RAW files.

Focal lengths are 35mm full frame equivalents
file *1819 = 42.2mm
*1820 = 180mm
*1821 = 252mm
*1823 = 117mm
*1824 = 135mm
*1826 = 66.5mm
*1827 = 66.5mm

Attachments

• DSCN1819_01.jpg
    DSCN1819_01.jpg
    11 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1820.jpg
    DSCN1820.jpg
    13.4 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1821.jpg
    DSCN1821.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1823.jpg
    DSCN1823.jpg
    14.2 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1826.jpg
    DSCN1826.jpg
    10.3 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1827.jpg
    DSCN1827.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1824.jpg
    DSCN1824.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 25
My first impression was "crow with something in its beak", but on second thought, raven is a much better fit for the tail shape. It's a pleasant surprise when the viewer's impression of size turns out to be roughly correct.

I don't think I've ever seen a hawk or eagle to carrying anything in its beak -- they like to use their talons instead.

Definitely a raven - tail shape is diagnostic on its own, but relatively short and broad but deeply "fingered" wings are also a strong ID point.

The "neck" you're seeing is its bill, and the "head" is some sort of roundish object (presumably a food item) that it's carrying. Corvids carry things with their bills, not talons.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back