• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (4 Viewers)

I did think silence on this thread was the prelude some sort of jamboree. Current favourites include Redstart #1 for the texture and those Goosander- giving the eyes of the middle two females plenty detail was a master stroke.

I did think silence on this thread was the prelude some sort of jamboree. Current favourites include Redstart #1 for the texture and those Goosander- giving the eyes of the middle two females plenty detail was a master stroke.

Nothing purposeful about it, it was just the easiest part to reach whilst kneeling in front of this oversized plastic canvas. Though since you point it out, I agree I'm happy about it being like that.

I was feeling extreamely blue yesterday evening. Popped in here... and left smiling. The Redstart is timply marvelous - what colors, what simple brush work! Black RS - great character. Woodpecker - had to check that one first, wow! Long-tails - *SMILE* cute and love the colors. Wood sands (if ID incorrect, I'll blame the fact that all the waders dissappeared just at the time I would have needed them most and now my brain refuses to take in wader characteristics for ID purposes) - gorgeous, gorgous - and love the "crop", very interesting, very dynamic... And the goosanders - yup, must admit, I'm a fan as well. :)

Reminds me why I'm in this business of wildlife art - there's no way a photo could convey such feeling as these paintings do.

Elina

Ouch! How did that happen? Hope everything goes alright.

Dunno! Just went for an annual sight test and mentioned that I had a sore eye and that's what I've been told. So off to the doc! But that's not 'til later, for now I'm trying to finish a kingfisher before I get blinded...

Mike

Another one done, now to tidy up the whole flat and get stuff ready for work tomorrow. It's September and I haven't been out birding this month! Very wrong!

This one has had the works - started off as a watercolour, then overlayed with pastel (impossible medium) a good layer of fixative (mmmm) then as the fixative changed all the colours it had collage, gouache and pencil crayon over the top. What was only going to be less than an hour's painting turned out to be 4.

Attachments

• lulubel gallery pics small.JPG
    lulubel gallery pics small.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
And every second of which contributing to the end result - which is stunning. When's the exhibition again?

Setting up in the first week of November, having the opening on the 15th (no alcohol allowed though :-C). Slowly starting to get on top of things for it, still haven't worked out how to make the invitations on the computer - don't seem to have anything that will cut A4 into 3, then got to get those printed, along with posters. So much to do - haven't even looked at my Italy sketches yet, and there were so many paintings to do there. Luckily Sebastien's plans for us to move to another flat have fallen through, he finally agreed that it was too expensive - so we're staying here, and I don't have to try and paint whilst packing boxes.

Better get back to tidying up now! It looks like a pigsty in here with bits of torn paper strewn everywhere.

Well worth the effort. Wonderfully structural birds, I can see each twist and turn of the angled planes all contained in strong lines that Enion would have been proud of.

Back to the eye hospital tomorrow, no idea what I'm in for yet...

Mike

So around 5 different mediums in that one. Well, it definitely dropped me down from my chair, beautiful, very very beutiful. Gotta second Mike's reference to Ennion.

Elina

Another one done, now to tidy up the whole flat and get stuff ready for work tomorrow. It's September and I haven't been out birding this month! Very wrong!

This one has had the works - started off as a watercolour, then overlayed with pastel (impossible medium) a good layer of fixative (mmmm) then as the fixative changed all the colours it had collage, gouache and pencil crayon over the top. What was only going to be less than an hour's painting turned out to be 4.

This one has the works alright, started off as a watercolour, then overlayed with panache (impossibly well) a good layer of insight (hmmmm) then as the insight blended efortlessly with the colour work it had talent, swagger and audacity over the top. What was only going to be less than gem turned out to be so much more....

Ennion yes, but all yours. Wonderful, wonderful image, adore it Nick.

WOO HOO! Finally got somehours birding done - best bird was my first little stint for a good few years, that I didn't sketch. There was this showy juv red-back shrike, 3 bh gulls (not a bad count at all!) and quite a good selection of wildfowl - 6 teal, 5 wigeon, 3 pochard, a RC pochard and these 2 garganey. Oh and this redstart is already going to be a painting, just got to find time to do it!

I'll be honest, the paint on the shrike was redone when I got back in, that's the last time I take photos of what I draw aswell! But then it was such a vain, look-at-me-I'm-beautiful sort of bird, I had to oblige it!

Attachments

• osselle september.jpg
    osselle september.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 61
  • osselle september 011.jpg
    osselle september 011.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 56
  • osselle september 012.jpg
    osselle september 012.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 49
  • osselle september 014.jpg
    osselle september 014.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 55
  • osselle september 010small.JPG
    osselle september 010small.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 50
Gorgeous shrike - don't berate yersel for colourworking afterwards, it's obvious the bird was in your psyche well and truly, so you'd only be interpreting the 2-d visual as the remembered event. Plus the added detail is absolutely required for this little stunner - great work!
love the other stuff, of course - but the main thing that shows here is your love of doing what you do. Splendid!

Burning the midnight oil to get not a lot done again - I had to paint over the wood sandpipers, there were inaccuracies that I couldn't live with, so that took me till half past three this morning, also started on a little pic of a serin singing on a fence, this was an idea from over a year ago that never got finished and now, again, I don't know where to go with it. OK, yes, it looks more like a lark sparrow or meadow bunting at the moment, it's just underpainting to stop me painting dark yellows as greens as I usually do.

Attachments

• lulubel gallery pics 001.jpg
    lulubel gallery pics 001.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 60
  • lulubel gallery pics 002.jpg
    lulubel gallery pics 002.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 73
I love the way the Wood Sandpipers have turned out. I reckon a nice bright Serin against the rusty old fence will look just great. Or did you have other ideas for the background?

No other ideas for the serin, I just wanted the bird to shine bright yellow against a purple background - doesn't look like my usual style, but as people keep telling me, style is something I lack big time! So, here's the finished serin, a hoopoe done quickly just to finish the paint left over in the palette, and a redstart that people mustn't get attached to, as the background has been collaged over just a little (but is coming on well!)

Attachments

• lulubel gallery pics 006small.JPG
    lulubel gallery pics 006small.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 63
  • lulubel gallery pics 004.jpg
    lulubel gallery pics 004.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 55
  • lulubel gallery pics 003.jpg
    lulubel gallery pics 003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 60
Serin - good enough to eat! (as in like a lemon bonbon, not in a an eating little birds kind of way)
Hoopoe - More style than I will ever be able to muster!
Redstart - Finished surely??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back