• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Now the redstart is finished, I just felt it didn't have enough contrast before, and had ended up too fiddly - so I painted in the gaps and stuck paper all over it.

Attachments

• lulubel gallery pics 009small.JPG
    lulubel gallery pics 009small.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 68
Mr. Derry - if I may say so, wow! My jaw dropped 3 times. Ok, four, if you count the redstart as 2. Serin is so cute yet with great strong atmosphere. Hoopoe - less is more! Beutifully simple. Redstart: I'll just keep on staring at it for a while longer. It's so watchable.

Elina

Beautifu work Nick, hoopoe is my favourite. Good decision on the redstart I'm well impressed with the colours on it and the rhythmic composition.

Mike

Actually had to come back to these. Besides the obvious "oooo - nice" they really are Ooo, very nice. The redstart piece shows a clarity of vision belied in your assessment of it and I concur with Mike that it's a fab composition. particularly the echo of the bird's tail in the vertical shoots. The flood of sappy green dead centre works on an abstract level - in fact the whole thing could condense into a green circle contained in vertical barring, yet the appearance is of an incredibly natural scene.
The serin has a lovely apparently belligerent attitude (I've no idea if they do) with the crescent and curve of its cheek and facial patterns reflected in the sinewy wire fence.
the hoopoe is still - ooo very nice!

Inspired by a recent 'cock-up' in spelling on another thread about a rather well-endowed anatidae, I thought I'd share part of my favourite page of 'The Living Birds'.

That's it! I'm going to paint some Purple Sands on sandpaper! yes!

Attachments

• purple sandpaper.jpg
    purple sandpaper.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 65
Inspired by a recent 'cock-up' in spelling on another thread about a rather well-endowed anatidae, I thought I'd share part of my favourite page of 'The Living Birds'.

That's it! I'm going to paint some Purple Sands on sandpaper! yes!
Do you know I have never noticed that before, and I've owned the book for over 20 years (reading it atleast a couple of times a week since!).
The only other 'error' which immediately springs to mind in the (great) book occurs on page 10. In commentary, John describes the plate as showing 'Spoonbills, black-necked grebes and young with (bottom right) a drake smew - ...' Whereas Eric's plate shows both black-necked AND Slavonion grebes (plus the others mentioned).
Anyone just tuning in - welcome to Pedants' Corner . . .

I take my hat off to you Nick. I wouldn't have dared touch the original Redstart (let alone wallpaper it!), but as usual you were right, it's so much more vibrant now.

Probably going to be quiet on this thread for a while, we've just signed a contract to move house (despite my reservations that we can't afford it and also that I've got this exhibition coming up which is eating into my time). On the plus side, I won't be using the dining room table anymore - I'll have my own room to work in with a lot of light! Woohoo!

Still, going to be very stressful. Eeeek!

Actually that's very mixed newsNick. Onthe one hand I'm delighted for you both - it's obviously a major move forward in life - and YOUR OWN ROOM!!!! First thing you'll need is decent racking or a planchest. get organised and get steaming into it.
There is of course a huge downside, and it's purely selfish but the forum is going to be missing its main creative inspiration - therefore you are allowed 1 week off to get sorted, and then it's back to it!
Good luck and be sure to let us know when it's happening.

Good luck with the move Nick, and come back real soon, I rely on you, Tim and Mike to give me the advice and direction that i need, having just started out on the path of paint and mayhem.......

we'll be waiting...:t:

Best of British (and French) luck with the move. I'm going to get my Derry fix at SWALA this week but it won't keep me going for long so don't stay away too long!

Mike

I don't intend on staying away too long, I've told Seb that it was his decision, he can pack boxes while I paint - of course I'll need to supervise. I'm also thrilled that there are BUSHES by the house, so I'll put up some feeders - who knows, maybe last year's Sibe Chiffy will come back (so I can tick it, rather than the odd looking abietinus/fulvescens/tristis-in-yellow-light thing I saw that was knocking around at the same time). I'm getting excited now - but maybe that's just the beer! (yes, again!)

Just got back from SWALA and I had to pop in here to comment on your paintings there. I already admired them when you posted the little jpegs on here, but in the flesh.. They are something else! Breathtakingly brilliant! Hats off to you young man, I'll be going back for more in the next couple of days.

Mike

Been keeping busy putting things in boxes, and doing a little bit of painting in between, the main project this week has been trying to make invitations and posters for the exhibition which opens in a month. My skills with IT are unparalleled, except perhaps by paramecia, which would probably be able to stick a few words and pictures onto the correct size paper and then print it out. It's taken me all day so far to do this simple invitation, then when I pop it onto a cd and take it into the printers tomorrow, I'm sure they'll tell me they can't do anything with it.

Might just have to email it to all my contacts! And of course, if any of you are anywhere near, consider the invitation open!

Attachments

• lulubel invitation.jpg
    lulubel invitation.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back