• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

The shelduck piece will be a stunner, no doubt. I love the original colourwork and this drawing retains all that is good about it - looking forward to the next version. Pintails and b-h gulls are superb - I must say the ducks are particularly splendid, drawings I am very envious of and the marsh tits has worked out very nicely - once again just leaves me wishing I could see these works in the flesh.
Beverage sounds very appetising indeed, though having just returned from a bracing stretch along Ness Point, I'll stick with my warmer-upperer; Remy Martin and Baileys over ice -yum yum.
Chin chin.

I've just become computer literate I think and after a long weekend of faffing about with t'internet, I present my new website, you probably know all the pics that I've put up, though there may be one or two oldies to discover. Obviously the site is part of that 'rent to pay money machine', but if you ignore all the pricing details, it may make a very nice visit during a moment of boredom.

http://nickderry.webs.com/

great little site you have there Nick, now i can admire all yer bits n bobs in one place (oooerrrr).......will even add a link from my Photographic Gallery in a while

The new website looks great, What a superb collection of inspiring watercolours for me to drool over. A few I have not seen before. I'm heading back for another look right now,
Steve

Oooooh yes my son!
Terrific to see these all together - almost makes up for not being able to see them in reality. The whole gallery looks ace, but I have a few favourites which I want to make a noise about. The juv and ad l-t tit is a piece of pure loveliness - I love the way they seem to be bounding along the tree-limb, and the sentinel crossbill is superb in its crisp simplicity. The juv swallows, buffeted and ruffled by the breeze are perfectly seen and represented - one of my all-time favourites and the serin looks as fresh and bright as the day you first posted it.
A lovely set of work and a thoroughly delightful experience.

Where to start Nick...and I've only been away for a bloody week! You must wear down the bristle on more brushes than a small art college.

The earlier Nuthatch is great nick, another gem reflecting your undersatnding of birds in the field and how they are seen, just right. Too be honest not a big fan of the Hawfinches, not one of you greater pieces for me, but still has lots of interest.
Special mention for the Pintail field skethces, a page that deserves a frame of its own, was looking at the species over the weekend just gone in Dublin as I had not seen Pintail in a long time. They have a real beauty all there own and are something of an artist species, being so shapely, full of good lines and contrast. Put a few males together and you could spend months painting them. Then I come back and see this, and all I can say is its truly brilliant...
(Just arrived back to a metre of snow and a white Sweden, will be nice to get out and see what ideas the snow gives me even if the temperature means sketching is now really tough...)

...almost missed the post on the Website!

Just had a fairly quick browse, it's great, I will be a regular visitor to say the least! More future joy from the brush of Derry....;)

More fabulous sketching from the Derry book, the pintails are a special delight.
Nice new website too, does this mean the old one will disappear?

Mike

More fabulous sketching from the Derry book, the pintails are a special delight.
Nice new website too, does this mean the old one will disappear?

Mike

I wish the old one could disappear, but the host went bust a few years back and I can't get in to delete the site.

What a treat to nip into the new website- I must have missed some of the re-works of this LSW

http://nickderry.webs.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=18418265&prev=1

and so almost spilt my coffee when I saw final version- that's a really lovely thing.

one of the few pictures where I'm totally happy with the habitat but not the bird, I think i can see the problem with the bird's head - look at the back of it, that's in the right position, but then look at its 'face' - they don't fit together. I may do something about that, wouldn't take a few minutes, but probably won't as I've got plenty of new paintings to be getting on with and I really should stop fiddling with my back catalogue!

Just got back in from work, horrible place, today was a bit better as there was this GW Egret fishing in the canal seen from the train, only thing to hand was the book I was reading - The Railway Children, quite appropriate. Late night painting and early morning jaunts to work are starting to catch up with me, only had enough time to do a new composition sketch of this old Fuerteventura Chat, I think such a bird deserves a bigger picture. Then the kestrel and blackie are done, same story, was going to be a watercolour, then I f****d up the kestrel and had to go over large parts in gouache. Now off to bed, then work again tomorrow, or if the coffee Seb's just brought in has any effect, I may collage down a foundation for the pintail (tissue paper and white cartridge on brown card I think)

Attachments

• website pics 004.jpg
    website pics 004.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 61
  • website pics 001.jpg
    website pics 001.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 67
  • website pics 002.jpg
    website pics 002.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 64
  • website pics 003.jpg
    website pics 003.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 69
That chat is a bloody marvel! Such a good composition and I love the contrast of small and spindly versus big and solid, just right for chats and wheatears.

Kessy and blackie is a very descriptive piece of work and a great piece of storytelling. I don't think you should ever have a plan Nick, it always seems to change anyhow so just go with your unerring instincts and stick whatever comes to mind onto the paper, card, brick, canvas,...whatever! It always works for you.

As for defacing books; You should be ashamed of yourself young man, what would your pupils have said! Take a sketchbook with you! ;) But, seriously, it's a great sketch and anything to relieve the boredom of work.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back