• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Just a brief, but big, shout for the first chat painting. The design is an explosion of radiating rock with the larva-hot chat pluming above. Fantabulastic!

Agree with the others on the chat. Brilliant.

Somebody will come across that copy of the Railway Children in a second hand bookshop years from now and go "Blimey it's got an original Derry inside the front cover". ;)

pintails and a tuftie, I reckon there's a scale problem between the two species, but half-submerged the tuftie looked tiny next to the others. So I painted what I felt summed up the scene.

Attachments

• website pics 005.jpg
    website pics 005.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 61
First of all: I'm totally IN LOVE with that chat! I guess I do have a soft spot for all sorts of chats, but still that is a uniquely lovely painting (and a very chatty chat that is)! And tuftie and pintails... That's so perfect - and the look on the tuftie's face is priceless! Perfect beginning for this morning, I'm inspired once again by your creativity.

Elina

I'm always amazed at how you capture these scenes in such an original and unique way.
As Elina says; An inspiration.

Mike

Agree about the expression on the tuftie - perfectly captured - and I'm doing a similar thing with this seabird painting regarding scale; I've upped the size of the razors and the puff just a squeak, simply because they didn't 'look right' smaller.

At one point these black-headed gulls were coming along very well and were going to make me the new Lars Jonsson, then I forgot how to paint and stuck paper all over it. oops!:smoke:

Just got back from Osselle, quite, quite dire, only distant birds, nothing really to sketch, idiots driving around the meadow blasting the horn scaring most things off. I did see this rather jolly yellow duck, but I think he came with me anyway. Cormorants and Coypus in an alphabetical C to C of what I sketched today.

Attachments

• osselle dec-3rd 08 004.jpg
    osselle dec-3rd 08 004.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 49
  • osselle dec-3rd 08 001small.JPG
    osselle dec-3rd 08 001small.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 40
  • osselle dec-3rd 08 005.jpg
    osselle dec-3rd 08 005.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 43
  • osselle dec-3rd 08 006.jpg
    osselle dec-3rd 08 006.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 37
while I was in the mood, painted up things seen today, watercolour and pencil - very simple, and NO collage! :eek!:

New camera not so good after dark!

Attachments

• osselle dec-3rd 08 008.jpg
    osselle dec-3rd 08 008.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 52
  • osselle dec-3rd 08 009.jpg
    osselle dec-3rd 08 009.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 44
Oh - very nice. Brilliant drawings and b-h gulls look to have benefitted from the paper treatment. These two finished paintings are very top drawer and, although it's a tad crass to make comparisons, they did spark a memory or two of a couple of half-decent painters; Goran Dalhov and Sir John of Busbyshire.
http://www.dalhov.com/
Of corse, there may be a glint of these others, but they're still 100% Derryness.

How did you manage to maintain the liveliness of sketches and still make them look like finished paintings? Brilliant! Especially love the Coypus one, the composition and the feel of flowing among the waves swimming, great!

Elina

Top, top work Nick, coypu full of sensuous silvery slickness and the cormorants are characterful, clever and classy.

Mike

Coypus are brill Nick, though special mention for the black heads, not ruined in any way at all in my opinion, love it with the collage. Red bills and legs seem to be so crisp and add to the painting hugely. The movement and overall comp are rather masterful, a high success...

Good morning all, the weather's been too vile here to go out sketching, so I'm going through my pile of paintings that need revision - an old Welsh peregrine that's having his head scrubbed away, and a nest of middle spots that just lacked composition - here's where I'm up to with those. I decided that for the peckers, it wasn't the nest and the birds that was the focal point, rather it was the leaves that are in front, so we've moved the birds to make them less obvious and hopefully I'll do something with this one now.

Also, here's an Egyptian goose on papyrus, my parents have just got back from a holiday in Egypt, the papyrus was my present and I think it might be a nice Christmas present for them to have it back with one of the birds they saw there on it.

Attachments

• papyrusgoose 001.jpg
    papyrusgoose 001.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 71
  • papyrusgoose 002.jpg
    papyrusgoose 002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
  • papyrusgoose 003.jpg
    papyrusgoose 003.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 59
'Morning Nick - weather's not bad here this morning, but the darkness is really starting to p1ss Sally off (she get a touch of SAD I'm afraid).
Love the Egyptian goose and it'll be a wonderful pressie, and a cunning piece of recycling, to boot.
Look forward to seeing the re-vamped stuff, although the pere has a lot going for it already.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back