• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

done in black watercolour with a bit of crayon, I don't know why but I've never been able to do stuff in pen, just never works.

I've been saving up all the shiny bits of paper from cigarette packets, and have now found a use for them. This is the only Iceland Gull I've ever seen, 2 years ago at Chasewater - adorable birds that look like baby seals.

Attachments

• february09 015.JPG
    february09 015.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 89
Don't give up smoking!

I'm glad you said it looks like a baby seal - that's what I thought it was at first in the thumbnail. You're so creative with these collages, they are tremendous.

I've been saving up all the shiny bits of paper from cigarette packets, and have now found a use for them. This is the only Iceland Gull I've ever seen, 2 years ago at Chasewater - adorable birds that look like baby seals.

Good thing you didn't use the wrappers from club biscuits.

Or Penguins - no you've taken that too far, unlike the collage - class!

Oh and the b&w's are quite good too;)

Love the purps - almost a garden bird round here! engaging little beasts were gathering round me when I was down the shore collecting seaweed for the garden at the weekend - too bloody cold to draw them mind!

No 3 certainly caugh my eye.

Cheers,
Andrew

The seal --- ummm, I mean the Iceland gull is brilliant! And so cute! And once again your creativity shines. The BW illustrations are wonderful as well, especially liked the crow for some reason.

Elina

I could have sworn I'd commented on the woderful silvery watered gull pic, but it seems I was mistaken. You're a never ending seam of creative energy and your, sometimes reckless, willingness to try something new all the time is an inspiration. Bateman used gold leaf in one of his pics, this is a lot cheaper I'll bet, although with the price of fags now I'm not totally convinced!

Mike

Wow, never been so close to letting this thread slip off the first page!

I haven't done much painting recently as you're probably aware, the studio is a mess, the weather has been awful, and I was back in Britain to open the exhibition at Slimbridge, where I sold nothing, got drunk on the free bar and dipped on the American Wigeon. Wine saves the day and I had a really nice time!
Anyway, some pictures then,

Attachments

• march 2009 014.JPG
    march 2009 014.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 88
  • march 2009 015.JPG
    march 2009 015.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 75
  • march 2009 016.JPG
    march 2009 016.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
  • this is an artist.jpg
    this is an artist.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 87
  • march 2009 023.JPG
    march 2009 023.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 66
and a few recent sketches, a blackbird in the snow from a few weeks ago and then stuff from Osselle yesterday, really glad to see chiffchaffs back, the black blob is a dead rook hanging from fishing wire, I'm going to paint it with some reed buntings flying by.

Attachments

• march 2009 022.JPG
    march 2009 022.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
  • march 2009 021.jpg
    march 2009 021.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 55
  • march 2009 020.JPG
    march 2009 020.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 57
  • march 2009 019.jpg
    march 2009 019.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 59
  • march 2009 018.JPG
    march 2009 018.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 56
nick,it must all be down to the credit crunch:C never mind just get drunk and be happyB :) mark....

Brilliance on a page as usual. Wigeons are a real real standout for me among the paintings, a really amazing painting, one of your best in some time..
Reed Buntings and drinking swan in pair also show an economy that is rare, the drawing is brilliant and application of watercolour masterful, that winter blackbird is a revelation as well....top class..

Phew - thank the lord you're back - I was going to organise a search party.
And this selection just shows why you're mised so much - full of life, beautifully constructed drawing and superbly observed studies, of which the sprawk is a total killer - just stunning. As Alan says, the wigeon is a show-stopper.
Shame about the lack of sales though. And, although it won't be any consolation, I didn't sell anything at the Jerram Gallery either.
I think I'm in the wrong job.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back