• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Just got back from a very early trip to Osselle, woke up this morning at half five, couldn't get back to sleep so jumped in the car and went. So glad I did, I managed to add 4 new species to my site list - Snipe, Hen Harrier, Alpine Swift and Water Pipit and Spring is definitely back with all 3 common hirrundines, LRPs, Black Kite, Black Redstarts, and well just loads of things. So much to see, didn't sketch a huge amount but we've got the Snipe (I've missed these birds!!!) Some Alpine Swifts around a pylon, and some Black Redstarts saying hello to my darling Zippy Bernadette.
Also got a drunk/hungover painting from the last few days, title - 'P***ing it down at Slimbridge!' In different lights.

Attachments

• osselle march 22 2009 001.JPG
    osselle march 22 2009 001.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 76
  • osselle march 22 2009 002.JPG
    osselle march 22 2009 002.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
  • osselle march 22 2009 003.JPG
    osselle march 22 2009 003.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 67
  • osselle march 22 2009 004.JPG
    osselle march 22 2009 004.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 83
  • osselle march 22 2009 005.JPG
    osselle march 22 2009 005.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 87
Love the snipe! They are so much more 'snipey' than anything I seem to manage. Your curlew too look suitably impressed with the weather, superb stuff as always.

Mike

There really is something hauntingly beautiful about pools of bright light percolating through rain - this Slimbridge painting has the lot. It's just a fecking gorgeous painting, dripping with atmosphere and first rate observation.
I do love it so.

A real birders painting. It's brilliant. Pissing rain, out getting soaked while the birds carry on regardless. (Mr. Derry tucked away in a hide getting a true to life gem of a scene down on paper.)

thanks everyone, so it seems the slimbridge pic is quite popular, and whilst not denying there are things in it that have turned out surprisingly well - be honest now - it IS enormously over painted and dirty - there are the remains of two badly placed curlew behind all that paint!

then again, it really was a very dirty day!

the stonechat was a lot of work - days and days of changing ideas and colours, the snipe were done in an hour or two - and is a WATERCOLOUR! OMG!:eek!:

Attachments

• osselle paintings march09 003.jpg
    osselle paintings march09 003.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 67
  • osselle paintings march09 004.jpg
    osselle paintings march09 004.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 65
It's a gloriously wet and liquid watercolour too, the way the pigments have mixed and swirled in the shadow areas of the belly is delicious. Any bird goes well with a bit of rusty wire Nick! lovely little stoney that was well worth the effort.

Mike

very frustrating painting at the moment, I'm giving up smoking, and the studio was also the smoking room! Here are some more waxwings from over xmas.

Attachments

• march 2009 047.JPG
    march 2009 047.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 86
That's stunning Nick. Like a mosaic, a riot of small rectangles and squares to describe the delicious rounded, warm peach of the waxwings. Sometimes you take my breath away.

On the subject of taking your breath away, best of luck with the smoking quit. I did it years ago and my best tip is: When you feel yourself weakening ask yourself; 'Will it kill me if I become a non-smoker?' The answer is, no. Then ask yourself; 'Will it kill me if I carry on as a smoker?' The answer is, probably. It worked for me and I hope it might help you. Stay strong.

Mike

Gorgeous painting Nick - so much said with such deftness - love it. And a belated round of applause for the stonechat (superb sense of scale, terrific design) and the pure class of the watercolour snipe.
Stopping smoking, eh? Just to echo Mike's support and a typically dour rcollection from my own past; I stopped for seven and a half years and it took me one ciggie to start again - a further 11 years as a smoker ensued and I finally stopped (!?! _ I hope) three years ago, March 2nd.
You'll never be a non-smoker again Nick - but being a stopped smoker is the next best thing. Good luck.

Stonechat. Love it. Wonderful colors, beautiful composition. And a chat, I love chats.

And on stopping smoking: You can do it!

Elina

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back