• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

bravissimo

the one with the spread tail has the lovely look of being painted on brown paper?

has the look, but it's just the camera with bad lighting.

Went out at 5am this morning to look for bluethroats at dawn, terrifying driving 80Km in the dark with heavy mist, to see not a single one, poo! Lots and lots of corn buntings to make up for it though (a species I'm not at all familiar with with only two fleeting glimpses before), also had a fleeting glimpse of a stone curlew, plus a distant hazy view of one, also spent a lot of time with a 2cy Montagu's harrier and a few others, I'll post the sketches as usual after a nap!

awake now, though not for long, got so many sketches here, and I'm back at work tomorrow. :-C

Here we have plenty of corn buntings, some randy little plovers, whitethroat, nightingale and a monty's harrier.

Attachments

• petit noir april 09 027.JPG
    petit noir april 09 027.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 44
  • petit noir april 09 028.JPG
    petit noir april 09 028.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 45
  • petit noir april 09 030.JPG
    petit noir april 09 030.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 37
  • petit noir april 09 031.JPG
    petit noir april 09 031.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 38
  • petit noir april 09 032.JPG
    petit noir april 09 032.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 50
I really hate this camera, I may have to take these again tomorrow when there's light!

A mixed bag of Osprey, Yellowhammer, G W Egret, Marsh and Monty's Harrier, GC Grebe and Coot, flyby Cuckoo, Purple Heron and Black Woodpecker, and a nice Stonechat. If anybody has any tips on how to 'see' harriers' wings properly, please let me know. I think I've got one or two that are ok, plus a few that look like a nighthawk

Attachments

• petit noir april 09 033.JPG
    petit noir april 09 033.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
  • petit noir april 09 034.JPG
    petit noir april 09 034.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 40
  • petit noir april 09 035.JPG
    petit noir april 09 035.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 33
  • petit noir april 09 036.JPG
    petit noir april 09 036.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 40
  • petit noir april 09 037.JPG
    petit noir april 09 037.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 46
Last page, quick doodles done from the car whilst driving around scanning rapeseed fields in a last-ditch attempt to find a bluethroat. Cuckoo, BH Wagtail, and Swallows (with a sand martin;)) and a magpie.

time for bed now I think!

Attachments

• petit noir april 09 038.jpg
    petit noir april 09 038.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 48
GORGEOUS!!!!! :t:

I haven't seen a yellow wag in three years (i'm a REALLY bad birder!!!) but I'm determined to catch up with them this year ;) If I don't I'll just drool over these wee beauties above :king:

You must get out and see few then, I can't think of anything as jolly as a yellow wag! I missed them terribly when I lived in Wales, never saw any for years.

There's been a few at Cresswell lately so I'll shoot off down there this afteroon as soon as I finish work! :t: I don't know HOW I've managed to miss them over the past few years as they ARE there!!! :smoke:

How do you always manage to be so productive on your trips out? It's tough to pick faves from this little lot but a special mention for the stoneys, the egrets and the osprey which you've managed to capture so succinctly.

And Gill, if you want yellow wags the place to be is undoubtedly Elmley RSPB. They are starting back now (I saw my first for the year on Friday) and by the summer the place will be crawling with them!

Mike

Last edited:
Nick, dont even know where to start, great set of work here, wagtails are superb, Montys brilliant too, as is the rest....

Fingers crossed a Bluethroat will cross your path in the not too distant future...

Ludicrously good. There isn't a drawing that doesn't thoroughly delight the senses, viewing them is like taking the most sublime trek through a woodland wonderland - just the finest work, period. I'd just like to single out a couple - the lrp face-on shows just how best to leave certain elements out of a drawing, so right with the character, seemingly so easily done. The harrier is a terrific investigation into the bird, such a lovely group of drawings.
Think I'll start smoking again, just so I can stop - if this is the effect it has on the creative juices (the extra naps would be welcome too).

It's been a while since visiting your thread and I've had a great time enjoying your posts. They are all soooo good. It's hard to pick a favorite, but since waterfowl are my favorite, I'll be consistent and go with the goosanders.

First off this weekend, in January, I was battling with a painting of fieldfare feasting on hawthorn that just wouldn't work, the composition was flawed - it was a portrait format, and two birds in the middle didn't have enough space around them to make a nice flowing picture, so they disappeared under collage and paint, then I realised that without these birds in the middle, nothing was joining the two halves - after a bit of playing, it got cast into the fiery pit of my 'purgatory' folder.

I took it out the other day to have a look at it, and decided to stick it in the bath and shower off a few layers of paper and paint, it struck me then while the paper was soaking wet that I should tear it in half, and stick the two halves of the picture back together to make a letterbox format - well, now it's finished and, yes it's a mess, but at least it's a mess that I can call a genuine Derry!

Attachments

• april 09 095.jpg
    april 09 095.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 53
  • april 09 096.JPG
    april 09 096.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 39
  • april 09 097.JPG
    april 09 097.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 36
  • april 09 098.JPG
    april 09 098.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 48
next up, on and off after work I've been fiddling with pictures from my trip out a fortnight ago, this is what we've got so far... still plenty to finish off

Attachments

• april 09 008.JPG
    april 09 008.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 44
  • april 09 085.jpg
    april 09 085.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 34
  • april 09 094.JPG
    april 09 094.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 35
  • april 09 099.jpg
    april 09 099.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 31
and last up, yesterday's morning out birding, not a vast amount of things to see, seemed like migration had stopped all of a sudden, but still got a few sketches done

Attachments

• april 09 091.JPG
    april 09 091.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 28
  • april 09 087.JPG
    april 09 087.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 39
  • april 09 088.JPG
    april 09 088.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 31
  • april 09 090.JPG
    april 09 090.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 38
  • april 09 086.JPG
    april 09 086.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 36
That fieldfare spread is a fine thing - I do like the ones where you can see (or in this case have been told about) the burst of physicality in the preparation.

The fieldfares are a definite success (and I think you've done right to put them together, as there's great movement across the whole thing). Stunning fieldwork (as always!), I'm particularly taken by the swallows.

Wow... I've been away for too long - again. Stunning. Love the fieldfares and the marsh harrier with grebes (the last one is especially an interesting situation, haven't had a chance to see THESE two species together).

Elina

Tons of energy in those fieldfares Nick, and who else can claim that they use the shower as a creative tool! You're a braver man than me for sure.

Fieldwork is superb as always, you manage to get so much info down in the simplest way.

Mike

Fieldwork is as exciting and instructive as ever (sand martins get a monster thumbs up) and this fieldfare piece is pure gold. To see the final version, it would be impossible to have considered any other result, and knowing of the process involved in getting to that stage makes it all the more amazing. Genius.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back