• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

I never know which I like best - the big spectacular compositions like the cows or the brilliant little sketches. Like others, I'm amazed by the sheer quantity as well as the quality - the two don't always combine well, but here they do.

Mike

Just about perfect fieldwork. Do you live in a Red Bull factory or did you win a lifetime supply of Lucozade at some point? There has to be some explanation for your boundless energy!

Mike

Just about perfect fieldwork. Do you live in a Red Bull factory or did you win a lifetime supply of Lucozade at some point? There has to be some explanation for your boundless energy!

Mike

If only it were energy! Got up at 3:30am - appalling heat here, couldn't sleep, nearly slept in the car on the way to the forest. This flushed from side of path! yay, lifer! Mystery sketch - guess the bird (it is a bird) Off for nap now; mmm sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Attachments

• foret de risol may 09 053.jpg
    foret de risol may 09 053.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 39
the heat! the birds!! you got it all there nick, its raining here, never mind more time for painting.. your sketches are A1 nick, is the Mystery sketch a honey nick...

No prizes I'm afraid - except for me, seeing as I saw the bird! It's a Hazel Grouse, I've been wanting one of these for years. After flushing something off the side of the path that was too quick but was probably a female caper, I stayed in the area hoping to find another when this thing comes crashing through the trees and over the path - this time I manage to see the tail pattern and was treated to a few calls. I was chuffed to bits, but also disappointed that I was so close to such a magnificent bird, but it wasn't going to show itself so easily - this is the only sketch I have.
Otherwise, all I sketched were the Ring Ouzels - a species that I haven't seen for over 10 years - they are in no way just montagne versions of blackbirds, flight call like a lesser whitethroat, they bugger off from every clearing as soon as you appear. I don't know if it's just the race we get here but the white wing patches were more distinctive than the white collar. Also a quick sketch of a Crested Tit in the rain.
In the pouring rain and fearful that coffee alone wouldn't be strong enough to keep me awake, I bid a hasty retreat back home - just woken up again - now to get ready for work tomorrow :-(

Attachments

• foret de risol may 09 050.JPG
    foret de risol may 09 050.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 28
  • foret de risol may 09 051.JPG
    foret de risol may 09 051.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • foret de risol may 09 052.jpg
    foret de risol may 09 052.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
  • foret de risol may 09 054.JPG
    foret de risol may 09 054.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to hear of the appaling heat - same here; we've got 9 degrees today!
These are splendid and it must be some locale, too.
Sal's getting peed-off with the weather up here so - next stop, France!!!!

Sorry to hear of the appaling heat - same here; we've got 9 degrees today!
These are splendid and it must be some locale, too.
Sal's getting peed-off with the weather up here so - next stop, France!!!!

As soon as you said that it started to pee it down! That'll cool it off a bit.

After all the sketching I've done this month, I've finally got time to sit down and go through it all and do some paintings. Trouble is, I can't be bothered to! Dammit! I'm lacking a little in inspiration at the moment. Yesterday I managed to play a little with the hazel grouse and monoprinting, and then started a watercolour of a ring ouzel, and completed it with acrylic added over the top.

Attachments

• foret de risol may 09 058.JPG
    foret de risol may 09 058.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 71
  • foret de risol may 09 057.JPG
    foret de risol may 09 057.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 57
  • foret de risol may 09 056.jpg
    foret de risol may 09 056.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 88
Very unusual idea and successful attempt Nick!
I guess there are very few artists in the world who would be able to draw dark on dark successfully! I love this drawing!

Paschalis

Can't believe I haven't commented on these before - ah well, senility and all that.
Suffice to say the hazel hen will be an image that will stick in your mind for a long time to come (just the first of many, one hopes) and I get the impression from these two comps that there's a long way a man of your laterality could take this idea - super start and one which is begging for a revisit or two.
This ring ouzel pic, on the other hand, says all that anyone would want to say in a painting - light percolates through the scene, almost sub-tropical in essence. The bird is deftly handled - those criss-cross hatches of plumage replicate the silver-edged feathers perfectly.
Class!

Getting across the explosive feel of the hazel grouse moment that's for sure!

I checked out the David Shepherd Wildlife artist ex yesterday, good to see a couple of Derry originals there. The wallcreep is a fine piece of work, very oriental feeling, fabulous brushwork and an understated palette with that dash of red against the vista. But, for me, the ravens are the stand out piece, I love the colour and the feeling of space in it and the birds fitting perfectly into the landscape. Super work Nick.

Mike

Glad you enjoyed it Mike, I wish I could have popped over myself, it's such a hassle living here at times!

Lots of things been happening here, missed out on two days painting with hangovers and people coming to fit new double glazing but still got some odds and sods done - the scale issue has been resolved with the waders and sand martins piece from a fortnight ago. I decided I had to do something about the ruff-sized wood sands and so knocked them back a little. Next we have the stilts in collage, originally I was going to use paint on it aswell, but it just came together and so I didn't. Now I've got this family of stonechats being watched by a shrike on the go, I really want to get in some abstractions so I'll probably slap on a bit of wax and acrylic to scrape, and put some collage in there. I really should work out what I'm doing first, then do it!

Attachments

• 2012.JPG
    2012.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2011.jpg
    2011.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2024.JPG
    2024.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 67
I had a wonderful day out on Sunday with other LPO members. We did Osselle in the morning and then went up to a dry meadow for butterflies in the afternoon.

I was very upset to see that a lot of the meadow around Osselle had already been cut, the wagtails hadn't finished nesting as a few adults were still carrying food. The little ringed plovers look to have given up trying aswell, none were seen, just a couple of topless heifers bathing in the area with no access where the plovers' last attempt was foiled by heavy machinery. The only good news was the bee eaters are still there, even after the bank they've chosen was used by a quad biker for some thrills. I've written a letter to the town hall to ask what will happen here, hope I get a reply before I have to start sending one a day.

Anyway, a pair of shoverlers was new, as was a whinchat, and there was a different melodious warbler

Attachments

• 2013.JPG
    2013.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2014.JPG
    2014.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2015.JPG
    2015.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 2016.jpg
    2016.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2017.JPG
    2017.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
the afternoon was sent in the company of Marbled Whites in the meadows, White Admirals in the woods, and the back of a wildcat that had been out looking for voles in a recently cut field.

Attachments

• 2018.JPG
    2018.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2019.JPG
    2019.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2020.JPG
    2020.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 2021.jpg
    2021.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 37
Gorgeous summer outing, well taken with the waggy especially.

Are you sure about that wildcat drawing?...... ;):eek!:

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back