• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Assuming you don't follow Tim's advice and head off crane hunting I wonder about doing a fresh version of Cisticola? I think it all ended up very well but now the affect of the repeated washing seems to stand out a bit? But maybe that's just me and the aftereffects of too many days of cold rain here.

Either way I'm happy to see it resolved to your liking. It remains a strikingly bold painting!

haha, didn't go crane hunting - got to do it in the correct order and see the common ones first - 25 flew over work today, for once I'd have liked to have been there. I've been battling out the cisticola - it's always the tiny birds that put up the most fight - the photos above are now obsolete, and three new versions are done, two of which are 'showable' - but as we're all friends here, I'll post all the versions, including those destined for the 'purgatory' folder. Just got to wait for daylight to take the photos!

finally can emerge from the studio - and then go back and do something else than bl**dy Cisticolas! I realised that the composition was far too flat, with th eye being led round and round the picture, but not up - a landing plane should never go round and round, unless in a bad film with screaming people, and as diagonals always help in creating a strong composition (ensures that both sides of the picture are used) I decided to stick the pole in at an angle, and then to hell with how the rest of the picture was going to work. I think I'm done with this one, it's a shame that I'm not familiar with cisticolas (probably spent less than 5 minutes of my life looking at them), because it shows, the part of the painting with the bird is a lot less expressive and a lot more controlled (and overworked!) than the rest. But hey! You can't have it all!:t:

ps - the last 3 are of the same pic - one slightly cropped but in focus, the next showing the whole pic but blurred, and the last one - the devil himself up close and personal!

Attachments

• cisticola 007.JPG
    cisticola 007.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 46
  • cisticola 010.jpg
    cisticola 010.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 49
  • cisticola 011.jpg
    cisticola 011.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 38
  • cisticola 012.jpg
    cisticola 012.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 44
  • cisticola 013.JPG
    cisticola 013.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 64
100,000 views !!!!
Congratulations on 92 of the most inspirational pages on the WWW
Looking forward to the next hundred grand.​

Well said and completely agreed to!

You started this one bold and ended it even more boldly. Really a pleasure to see. It's amazing to think that such a wonderful painting came about from a 5-minute view of the Cisticola(which I of course have never seen at all and have to keep checking to make sure that I'm spelling correctly!).

hooray - no cisticolas to paint today!!!! Got to do one of those really enjoyable scenes of mixed species in an open habitat. So who can name all the species?

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 81
Derry at his best - love it!!!
And a very cheeky challenge, too. But just to show my lack of ornithological expertise, I'll set the all rolling with - terns; 1 Sandwich, 3 little (one juv), 2 white-winged black; black-headed gull, dunlin and Kentish Plovers.

Derry at his best - love it!!!
And a very cheeky challenge, too. But just to show my lack of ornithological expertise, I'll set the all rolling with - terns; 1 Sandwich, 3 little (one juv), 2 white-winged black; black-headed gull, dunlin and Kentish Plovers.

too damned good! - except the two white winged terns are also juv little - even if they do look like WWB. :smoke:

NO way in the world I was going to make any guesses, though I probably would have gotten the dunlin right! What a beautiful and accomplished work though! You've melded them altogether perfectly, as though they always hang out together just like that.

You've been cracking the Jesucisticola code and happily splashing about amongst the mixed pastel flocks I see! Super work as always, sorry I've not commented for a while.

Mike

pure Derry, and really enjoyable work, I got terns and plovers but not which kind.....right up there with Busby's society paintings....

Gorgeous light and flow....really brightens up a dull day :)
I am not very good at ID either, that's how I landed up on a bird forum :-O

Haven't posted for a while - bad me! I've been back on the purple sandpipers again - 3 more versions here, though I think I need to do another now that I've got the composition worked out, limiting myself timewise to make sure I don't fiddle with these devilishly changeable birds!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back