• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

lapwing and egrets would make a beautiful pair with the 3 egret/2 curlew you treated us to a little while back: I've had a little search back but not quite got there yet..

wallcreepers did not oblige me today, and neither did the weather - you'd think the French had never seen people painting in the rain before!

Attachments

• peregrines 013.jpg
    peregrines 013.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 48
  • peregrines 014.jpg
    peregrines 014.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 38
  • peregrines 015.jpg
    peregrines 015.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 50
  • peregrines 016.jpg
    peregrines 016.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 51
  • peregrines 017.jpg
    peregrines 017.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 52
Wow! Yet another completely outstanding group of drawings - I like the inclusion of the landscape in the group as well. If you wouldn't mind a process question - do you always sketch first, then wash, or do you ever sketch in watercolor then add pencil later?

Wow! Yet another completely outstanding group of drawings - I like the inclusion of the landscape in the group as well. If you wouldn't mind a process question - do you always sketch first, then wash, or do you ever sketch in watercolor then add pencil later?

Normally I sketch in pencil first, but I'm not adverse to adding more pencil over the top afterwards. Very rarely, I treat myself and slap colour on then do the pencil - I'm a bit of a Dufy fan you see.

You're not allowed to sketch kingfishers and peregrines! Especially not when they turn out as scrummy as these. ;)

A really good lesson in why it's always worth going out, even in the rain.

Mike

You're not allowed to sketch kingfishers and peregrines! Especially not when they turn out as scrummy as these. ;)

A really good lesson in why it's always worth going out, even in the rain.

Mike

Just saw a young peregrine yesterday Nick and all I have to show is a blurred photo. What wonderful sketches these are! As well as the earlier paintings of lapwings and pipit. I especially like the way you've included the pipit flight pattern in the painting. This is just such an imaginative way to work and all of your paintings show that imagination going strong. Coupled with such great field sketching it's an unbeatable combination.

These latest peregrine sketches are pure class! You are the master of putting down only the vitals of the bird - it's as if they don't need anything else - and they don't. A few scribbles here, nice line there and a bit of shading here - wonderful stuff.

Russ

Got home tonight to find December's issue of Birdwatch magazine on the doormat. In this issue the Birdwatch Artist of the Year 2010 prizewinners are announced.:cat:

Earlier this year I confessed to using a lovely painting of a hen Blackcap as the wallpaper on my desktop. It pleased me greatly, and, as it was yours Nick, you said you didn't mind.

Well blow me down! :eek!:

"My" Blackcap wallpaper ( or, rather Nick's delightful painting of such!;)) is a PRIZEWINNER!!!!

Have not seen this info anywhere else yet?

So, may I have delight in announcing Nick Derry as a celebrated prizewinner, in the 2010 Birdwatch Artist of the Year Competition?!

(A copy of the printed section of your work in the mag is attached. Your copyright I believe.B :)

Very many congrats Nick, and "WOO-HOO!" :t: B :)

PS If you want me to send you a good scan of the whole article PM me, or let me know here. As I know the mag may not reach you until a bit later...Brilliant news and JOLLY well done!

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
yay! I remember being asked to provide a high quality photo of the blackcap for the magazine, not having such a thing I asked if "this one will do?", they didn't get back to me so it's a nice surprise to see that it's in.

Nice start to the morning.

just to clarify though, it's not won anything - it was just liked enough to be put in the magazine and has found a new home somewhere with somebody who liked it enough to buy it. Still it's nice to have it in print.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back