• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Amazing - just amazing!
How many strings is it decent to have to one's bow, pray tell??? From delicately crafted studies, almost analytical in precision, to full blown expressionism, spurting colour - thy creativity knows no bounds. Nor f*cking should it!!!!

What more can I say? Remembering your fondness for opera your work is all arias I think while most of the rest of us are doing the recitative.

I particularly like the grebes. That's such a flowing composition with such simple but sure marks. Just sings!

Another wow when faced with this wonderful spread! Is that actually a pair of mallard? This species is a forum first for me! Great to see wildfowl cropping up in your work, Nick, and the accompanying goosanders are amazingly well done. I love it all and then there's the 1st winter Med.....

BF is currently showing some truly superb work at the moment. But, It's like blink and you'll miss it!

Russ

I had the most startling revelation that crested tits look like cigars. :eek!:

Attachments

• cigar tit.jpg
    cigar tit.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 54
What to say about this latest batch, how do you churn them out so fast. Blue Greylags are sensationional Nick. The whole lot is wonderful to be honest, along with the earlier Crested Tits. I only looked at this thread last on Wedenesday for god's sake. Some real brilliance in this latest batch and Im going back for another look...

When you get into the groove you really fire 'em off rapid like. But none of it suffers for that, it's all mouthwateringly woderful.

Mike

it's difficult keeping my resolution of not letting my thread slip off the first page - we're in the middle of renovating an apartment to move into in a few weeks, so no time for birding and painting - here are a few from last week before they get packed up ready for the big move.

Attachments

• captain excubitor.JPG
    captain excubitor.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 68
  • walltoaster.JPG
    walltoaster.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 59
  • pochards 1.JPG
    pochards 1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 69
  • pochards 2.JPG
    pochards 2.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 70
love the way you paint

greetings Gaby

As we all do Gaby;)

That first Pochard painting has a glorious sense of cold and movement to it, the birds blending in with the chopped water, facing into the wind. It might be quickly rendered but is very, very special I for one applaud it....

Smashing little Wallcreeper, deft work to say the east...

Glad you got these posted before the move, Nick! The first pochard painting leaped out at me for the same reasons Alan said - it perfectly captures what we call here "a good day for ducks". Cold, windy, rainy, yet with the ducks just going about their business as always.

the last two spreads, leave me with only a rudimentry vocabulary, when viewing only words left were OH AH AH AH Umph simply beyond any words to describe, but for the heart, mind, and painter in me, pure pure pleasure.

hope the move gives you a bigger studio...

the last two spreads, leave me with only a rudimentry vocabulary, when viewing only words left were OH AH AH AH Umph simply beyond any words to describe, but for the heart, mind, and painter in me, pure pure pleasure.

I'm afraid the move gives me a smaller studio :-( really racking my brains about how to organise everything to fit. I'm getting rid of my big designers desk/easel thing - as it is broken, always on a slope (and that's difficult) and replacing it with my old dining room table which was the right height, width and length. There's a lot more space in the living room though, so books and the like can mostly go there.

Have to agree with Colleen. Both those last two are knockouts! A good omen for your move. Just don't get lost in stable-building like Tim;)

don't worry Nick you'll figure it out...I do most of my work in a 6x8 foot space, but I don't work as freely as you do...maybe a kitchen table can do the job

I have a drafting table with folding legs that goes easily to several heights. but folds flat to the wall, sometimes a table easel goes on it for bigger higher work

is there some canvas in there? the last Wallcreeper I reckon gets something extra from that compared to the on-paper work (if that's possible): a slight extra richness and fade

also a special yes for the woodpigeon behind the greylags

- choice of species, colours

- and position high up on the page and bleeding down into the bottom half

all conjure up the spirit of the good doctor

Oh yes, anyone who can paint wildfowl is alright in my book, and these pochard are great! If the pochard are great then the Great Grey is magnificent. I love how you've deftly painted those subtle hints of dark and light on the bird's mantle. I remember you saying these birds didn't exist 12 months ago!

Russ

It seems to be the season for renovations! Lovin' the pochard, there's always so much movement in all that you do.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back