• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

just got to share some photos - 6 years I've been waiting for this!!! I'll post the sketches later but for now I just have to share my excitement! OK, they were tape-lured, but now we know there is a pair here at this previously unknown location, I won't be going every day to make them magically appear. I also managed to get one at a site where they were seen quite frequently in winter, but hadn't been seen since. (They are high concern species in the region - so now I know the method works, I'll be checking some likely looking habitats to see if we can't find another few previously unknown locations).

Attachments

• grey pecker crop female.jpg
    grey pecker crop female.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
  • pic cendrés.JPG
    pic cendrés.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 47
  • pic cendré femelle.JPG
    pic cendré femelle.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 67
  • pic cendré male.JPG
    pic cendré male.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 49
so the sketches: grey-headed woodpeckers, and a page of lapwings and some shelduck (nice surprise!)

Attachments

• grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 026.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 026.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 46
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 027.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 027.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 49
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 028.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 028.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 47
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 029.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 029.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 43
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 024.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 024.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 53
more - curlew and great spot pecker, rather deformed golden plover (quite rare here!) sketched from the discomfort of a car as the sod was too close for me to get out and with 200 pairs of lapwing eyes watching me.... mute swans, great white egret, great crested grebes and a pochard.

Attachments

• grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 025.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 025.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 47
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 030.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 030.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 41
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 031.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 031.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 46
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 032.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 032.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 51
last lot, from Osselle, another great white egret, ANOTHER grey-headed woodpecker, and a yellow-legged gull with the cormorants.

and a sign of spring! Large tortoiseshell - didn't see a single one last year.

Attachments

• grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 035.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 035.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 43
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 034.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 034.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
  • grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 033.jpg
    grey-headed woodpeckers march 2011 033.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 48
  • large tortoiseshellbf.JPG
    large tortoiseshellbf.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 53
Saw the grey-head pics on FB and joined in your delight, but now that delight is trebled with the viewing of these drawings!
The flight studies - curlew, great-spot - are phenominally good, as are the outline-emphasised GCGs. Terrific stuff.

dingin' example of how context adds to bird images- knowing you are excited about the G-h Ws gives the drawings an extra zappow factor if that's possible

I seem to remember something like this happening last year- all quiet on here for a bit then just as the first Black Kites start to drift north over Gibraltar, it all kicks off here too..

there'll be spanking Garganey to admire here soon..

I'm almost invariably humbled whenever I look at your sketches Nick. You have an ability to put down in a few lines the distilled essence of the live bird. There's a group of three lines in pic5, three lines and it's a lapwing's head right there on the page.

As my South African friend would say; Awesome dude!

Mike

excited is not the word! Heart-pounding, adrenalin-fuelled panic and awe is closer to the mark - once the birds had left, I was grinning from ear to ear uttering expletives to myself. I can't believe just how discrete these birds normally are - there are no previous records for this wood, despite it being next to a top-spot (which in Franche-comté terms means on average about one visit per week by someone). The one I had at Osselle flew from a stand of trees that I had just walked past as soon as I played its song. Interesting that the green woodie that was already in a tree next to where I was ignored the grey-head's song completely - whereas we sometimes struggle to tell them apart by song.

So in the context of such excitement, painting the sods is agony, they HAVE to be one of my best pictures because they deserve it, and such pressure often leads to stupid overworking - add to that the fact that you have the photos so can compare the picture, and that they were in really tricky positions to compose (facing apart and quite distant). I've gone for a 'blocky acrylic' with wax - as I was watching the birds, I was thinking 'angles and contrast' so that's what I've tried. Now that the first one is done, the stress has been reduced and I can perhaps paint another few pictures from this work a little more relaxed (I want to do one with them alert - I LOVE those shapes they make!)

On the other hand, I've been practicing my printing - please HELP! I'm rather crap at the technical side of it! The caper was too wet, the stork is just a mess, and the cuckoo was painted with the inks rather than being printed!

The gadwall saw a return to watercolour to get it done!

Attachments

• paintings march 2011 002 greyheads.JPG
    paintings march 2011 002 greyheads.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 71
  • paintings march 2011 001.jpg
    paintings march 2011 001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 63
  • paintings march 2011 003.jpg
    paintings march 2011 003.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 61
  • paintings march 2011 005cuckoo.JPG
    paintings march 2011 005cuckoo.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
  • paintings march 2011 004gadwall.JPG
    paintings march 2011 004gadwall.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 67
excited is not the word! Heart-pounding, adrenalin-fuelled panic and awe is closer to the mark - once the birds had left, I was grinning from ear to ear uttering expletives to myself. I can't believe just how discrete these birds normally are - there are no previous records for this wood, despite it being next to a top-spot (which in Franche-comté terms means on average about one visit per week by someone). The one I had at Osselle flew from a stand of trees that I had just walked past as soon as I played its song. Interesting that the green woodie that was already in a tree next to where I was ignored the grey-head's song completely - whereas we sometimes struggle to tell them apart by song.

So in the context of such excitement, painting the sods is agony, they HAVE to be one of my best pictures because they deserve it, and such pressure often leads to stupid overworking - add to that the fact that you have the photos so can compare the picture, and that they were in really tricky positions to compose (facing apart and quite distant). I've gone for a 'blocky acrylic' with wax - as I was watching the birds, I was thinking 'angles and contrast' so that's what I've tried. Now that the first one is done, the stress has been reduced and I can perhaps paint another few pictures from this work a little more relaxed (I want to do one with them alert - I LOVE those shapes they make!)

On the other hand, I've been practicing my printing - please HELP! I'm rather crap at the technical side of it! The caper was too wet, the stork is just a mess, and the cuckoo was painted with the inks rather than being printed!

WOW! Grey Headed painting is Glorious, Glorious, Glorious...

The golden highlit bark and top birds rump lift it so high, love this piece...

Congrats on the irds and you have done them proud, the second page of fieldwork nails the species, a very different bird to Green Pecker and youve captured their essence perfectly...

Simply marvellous sketching. As Mike says, so much down on the paper so quicky, but more to the point, all the right lines. I've found , when working rapidly, my hand sometimes moves faster than my brain, and inevitably the results are no where near as good as this. The peckers are quite superb and want to make me look at my subjects in a totally different way! It's gonna be a long road.....

Inspirational stuff, indeed.

Russ

So in the context of such excitement, painting the sods is agony, they HAVE to be one of my best pictures because they deserve it, and such pressure often leads to stupid overworking - add to that the fact that you have the photos so can compare the picture, and that they were in really tricky positions to compose (facing apart and quite distant).

Woodpeckers look good as Alan says. But my feeling is that maybe in a day or so(or month) the pressure of making it into one of your best pictures will be gone and you'll come back to the theme and do something even better. For now though I don't think you can beat those sketches for excitement bottled and captured.

I also think the Caper has a lot going for it. As Tim says just go with the flow (well I'm not sure he used that cliche!) with the new inks. You respond marvelously to what the medium gives you and I'm sure these will keep leading onward and upward. At least you don't look like me when I started watercolor. I loved what I knew it could do. But what I did was so unfathomably bad in comparison. I'm surprised I didn't just stop right then!

odd thing on the gadwall redone- I was looking at them with a subliminal feeling that I had recently seen a pair Gadwall spinning in white whirlpool on brown- and remembered it was the only pic I took on my rainy outing last Saturday

caught them by accident whilst record shooting the circled Bittern-ish reeds, which I rather liked..

not quite a Derren Brown moment, but spoooky-ish

Attachments

• q9 550 gadwal DSC_2388 copy.jpg
    q9 550 gadwal DSC_2388 copy.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 44
  • q9 550 gadwall reeds DSC_2388 copy.jpg
    q9 550 gadwall reeds DSC_2388 copy.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 61
Grrr! Am still trying to get Grey-Headed and Syrian. Then my European Peckers wil be solved.
But the delight i had in your delight, and the painting/sketching?

I don't care anymore!

Beautiful and BRILLIANT!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back