• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

oh Mister Rolland....forgive my mistake ;)
Aye - beat me to it. Well known bittern-tamperer; no wonder it took flight.
Serously - I could see something was happening down there, but I also thought there was a sort of echoing of the bittern's plumage. Nice to get the full story.

Aye - beat me to it. Well known bittern-tamperer; no wonder it took flight.
Serously - I could see something was happening down there, but I also thought there was a sort of echoing of the bittern's plumage. Nice to get the full story.

My thoughts were the same as Tim's, an echoing of the bittern's plumage, or maybe the equivalent of a double-exposure where you see the same object just a split second apart. So the bittern just before flight and in flight. I never noticed the darker area framing it.

As far as those rooks. I sure debated whether they were more appealing than this bittern. Back and forth; back and forth. I think they show the sureness of something done in just one shot. I really do like them quite a bit. But there's still something even more appealing about this bittern, maybe the way it seems firmly embedded in its environment. That's one of the things I think you do uniquely well!

Somehow I thought I had already commented on the latest four. I like the rooks as well, but of course they are all just spectacular as usual! As to the bittern, now of course we will all be scouring your pieces even more closely to determine what you've hidden amidst the avian denizens.

In going back through this amazing thread, I found I miss commenting on this

gobsmacking work, only Thomas Quinn has mastered thing kind of comp where the empty space is so alive it is no longer empty and done in only the most quiet tones, masterful work, and of the lineage of the great Chinese and Japanese ink painters

Attachments

• nick ducks.jpg
    nick ducks.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 59
those teal were one of those 'I think I should do more so best not touch it' moments - having too little time for real painting at the moment (teaching, illustration deadlines and out in the field dipping on short-toed eagles again) is actually not a bad thing - it makes me work more as though I were in the field. Tomorrow is a painting day again! (Well, after a bit of illustration).

more sodding illustration work - hope they like them!

Attachments

• small cincle.JPG
    small cincle.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 48
  • small ecorcheur photo.jpg
    small ecorcheur photo.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 58
  • small iberis.JPG
    small iberis.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 43
  • small ophioglosse.JPG
    small ophioglosse.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 57
  • small perla marginata.JPG
    small perla marginata.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 53
and the rest..............

Attachments

• small pic noir.JPG
    small pic noir.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 54
  • small salamandre.JPG
    small salamandre.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 45
  • small temnostama apiforme.JPG
    small temnostama apiforme.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 45
and of the lineage of the great Chinese and Japanese ink painters

Don't want to go off on an Eastern tangent here but these also remind me of Eastern painting. They are so simple and yet so full and so dynamic, like the subject boiled down to its essence but then done with a master's touch. For instance the bumblebee is just as lively as can be and yet incredibly simple as well.

If the people getting these don't realize the special quality of the work they're getting they should have their heads examined. Illustration of the very highest quality.

the graphic artist has just replied - she likes them, so that's good - hopefully I'll get the other project finished soon (much bigger) and I'll be able to have more time to do the sort of things I want to do - such as these:

Attachments

• lrp.JPG
    lrp.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 58
  • lsw.JPG
    lsw.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 63
  • cranes.JPG
    cranes.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 62
Oh boy....what a delight...:eek!:....i'm blown away with the woodpeckers...especially the lesser spot....the background of which is so bark-like....what an incredible piece of work...fan-friggin-tastic....:t:

ps...don't have time at the mo to comment on other pieces...[and please forgive me other artists on this forum for being so neglectful...i will catch up...eventually...[but right now i've got to go and see some local wheatears]...i cannot resist...

As usual...'the field calls'...:t:

Well done, mate - you're producing high-quality illustration work which is still entirely of your own hand - not an easy thing by any stretch. Then there's the true artwork; the little-ring is simply wonderful, as is the cranes pic. I adore the middle image; beautifully composed and elegant in its apparent simplicity - if only such a creature existed!

As usual, Tim beat me to the punch with his comments on the illustration work. My first thought in looking at them was that they work very well as illustrations yet are not the typical labored, tight and ultra-detailed scientific illustrations in which the artist's hand is so well-hidden. These are very effective, but clearly Derry-ish. When I first started doing art back in 2008, I thought botanical illustration was something I'd be interested in, so I went to a workshop on it. The instructor was very accomplished, but as soon as she said an average vegetable took her 40 hours of work, and her largest watercolor brush was a 2 or 3, I realized that wasn't where I wanted to spend my time.

oh man...one day I couldn`t look.....

can not say that I one of the drawings prefer...all beautiful

greetings Gaby

About time I caught up! Another visual treat, Nick. Actually, as a bloke with a funny taste in bird art, my faves here are the illustrative work! All these are exquisitely done, but the dipper, hunched shrike and black woodie are superb.
The cranes, too have got me drooling. Just thinking how many pages I would have to scrawl on to get shapes like these. If only they existed, as Tim says!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back