• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Top Banana! Love it!
Great work again Nick - glad your travels didn't upset the flow, you seem to be back on track straight away.

Oh dear, I've been neglecting my thread a little, four days without a post is not good enough. I've been thinking about painting more than actually doing it these past few days, and I'm feeling a little 'block' coming along, eeep!

Anyway, this is my 2000th post on the forum, and here are some swans and a heron that was done in the traditional way of 'banging it out'.

I went into the gallery that *represent* me here in France today to get my pictures back, after they've had them since March, lied to me on several occasions that they'd put them up for Fathers' day and for the sumer sales, it turns out that they've only framed one of them and the other two are somewhere in the workshop. I've got to pop back in on Friday when they'll have retrieved them, and took one out of a frame. It may be defamation, but never use Galérie Cart in Besançon (not that any of you are likely to, and as they don't speak English, they're unlikely to read this)

Attachments

• cygnes 002.jpg
    cygnes 002.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 80
The life, movement, light and immediacy in your work continues to amaze, keep on 'banging 'em out!'

Woody

I, too, have been 'neglecting your thread, Nick - and I feel worse about it than you do (Ihave an excuse, though sir!) - I love the starts - great group image and lovely observation (had a juv whinchat migrant this morning - nice) and as Woody says - the swans are divine -I particularly like the angle of view - stunning. When's the SWLA start?

There's another version of the redstarts on its way, the first one had no 'unity' or logic for where the lights and darks were, so I've laid out a bit of background and now just need to finish it. I'm trying to be a bit more subtle with the shadows, rather than do the garish pale yellow to dark green grass that is a bit of a signature (but something I'd like to get rid of!).

SWLA starts on the 26th, till the 7th, decided against going myself, as a quick trip to London from here costs 'the skin of my buttocks' as we say in France!

Attachments

• cygnes.jpg
    cygnes.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 75
I've run out of superlatives for your work Nick!! So just wish you luck with the Exibit

(Remember the Salon de Refuse!!

Hmmm - not sure if that sounds painful or fun . . .. - but either way, must be bl**dy expensive!

Sounds even messier than paying through the nose.

Intrigued by Nick's comment above re greens- I am a devout fan of the pics on this thread where some white has crept into the mix..

Trying to inject a bit more life and excitement into my redstarts, I end up doing an acrylic version of virtually the same painting, never mind, I actually prefer this version. Again, with and without flash.

Attachments

• starts 002.jpg
    starts 002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 63
  • starts 003.jpg
    starts 003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 86
Just effing superb, Nick. Fantastic depth to the painting, even in such an intimate landscape. An abject lesson in how to move from drawing to colour sketch to finished work - amazing talent!

Either it's great art, or a big mess, or needing to be looked at and picked up again tomorrow, probably the latter! So I'm off to bed. This painting comes from a sketch made at Ynys Hir on May 19th 2004. There were two Temminck's Stint with the group of Dunlin, I may put them in in another attempt at the pic.

Night all!

Attachments

• DSCF4199.JPG
    DSCF4199.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 74
I'll disagree and say the former! Brilliant piece, wonderfully busy, and the blending between birds in that line of Dunlin really presses the eye to keep moving. If I'd do anything, it'd be to do something behind the birds (land, sky and sea are tonally very similar, and I think I need a reference point).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back