• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (2 Viewers)

Went to Brandon Marsh this morning.

Didn't see much till I spotted 3 Barn Owls (2 Juv. and 1 Adult) in their usual tree.Never seen more than one before.That was the good news the bad was that wherever I went along the path there were reeds/grass in the way and a good shot was impossible.You need to be 6ft.9 inches tall or take some steps with you to get a decent shot.

There was a lone Green Sandpiper from the Carlton hide and a KF was showing well from the perching pole.Well it was till 2 women and 5 kids arrived one of whom had just won the World's Noisiest Kid Championship and managed to scare off the KF to the other sde of Coventry.

A few pics attached.Is the first shot a juvenile Feral Pigeon.The Owl babysitter seems to have nodded off.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_0698 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0698 (Medium).JPG
    104 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0761 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0761 (Large).JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 50
Upton Warren Flashes this evening - 3 Dunlins, 7 Green Sandpipers, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, 1 Peregrine, c 300 BH Gulls (but no Meds), 2 LBBG, 2 Shoveler. Thirty Curlews came in to roost.

Last edited:
As my friend the weatherman told me today would be the best day of the week I went off to Draycote Water only to be greeted with a damp,cold and breezey morning.Thanks yet again weatherman.

Feeling pretty miserable as I trundled along the Farborough Bank I was immediately cheered up when close to the red buoy I came across an old friend the juvenile Wheatear but this time he had his mum with him ( I think it is a female?).They were both very accomodating and allowed me to get pretty close if you were careful.

Other birds present 2 Common Sandpipers,2 Dunlin,2 Yellow Wagtails and 1 Yellow-legged Gull.

Some pics attached.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_0958 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0958 (Large).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0971 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0971 (Large).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1075 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1075 (Large).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 60
Same here - I reckon Max takes a stuffed one with him to annoy us. ;)

Dammit.You've found out my secret.

It was funny on Thursday I'd been in the hide with another birder for 45 minutes waiting for a KF to turn when just as this guy said "The damn thing is not going to turn up" it landed on the perching pole.

I've been lucky the last two times I've been in that hide but failed many times previously.This could be the time to see them.

Max.

Didn't see much till I spotted 3 Barn Owls (2 Juv. and 1 Adult) in their usual tree.

When is a good time to see the Barn Owls at Brandon out of interest? Any help much appreciated.

I visited Brandon for the first time a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it so much I went back today and joined the WWT. A great couple of visits with very obliging Kingfishers. Got my hopes on a Hobby next visit but waiting for better weather than today!

When is a good time to see the Barn Owls at Brandon out of interest? Any help much appreciated.

I visited Brandon for the first time a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it so much I went back today and joined the WWT. A great couple of visits with very obliging Kingfishers. Got my hopes on a Hobby next visit but waiting for better weather than today!

Hi Joser.Not an easy question to answer.I saw them at just before 12.00 last time but they were not seen in the afternoon.I think it's pot luck and I'm told the juveniles will leave the nest shortly.

Popped down to Marsh Lane this morning.It was cold and miserable not like August at all.Little of interest seen but did get some Buzzard shots from the carpark.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_1089 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1089 (Large).JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 67
2nd shot is superb Max :t:

Popped over to BM today to try again for the kf... wasn't disappointed. It was there for 50 mins, after which it was joined by a second one! Over an hour of kf action. Pics to follow, maybe later!

The first one caught a couple of fish - the first one looked too big to swallow. The 2nd kf wasn't quite as good at fishing, but did get one later on.

A good afternoon, in spite of the weather!

Last edited:
A few from earlier... I would post more, but Mr Becks and Mr Kronenburg have lead me astray...

B :)

Attachments

• IMG_8832.jpg
    IMG_8832.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8908.jpg
    IMG_8908.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8980.jpg
    IMG_8980.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9010.jpg
    IMG_9010.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 52
Congrats Pete on getting the KF's.Great shots as well by the way.

The next shot to go for is one fishing in the water.I've tried and have now got a large collection of water only shots.

Max.

One day... the fish caught first (perch is it?), was scooped out of the water, beneath the edge of the lake, so we didn't actually see the splash. Surprised that it was still hungry after that whopper, but within 30 mins, it caught another.

I think the 2nd one that arrived was a young male, son perhaps... and it wasn't as competent at fishing. Had several attempts before it got one.

Fabulous birds to watch though.

Great captures Pete, especially of the one feeding.

I can remember my other half being led astray by a certain Mr Grolsch on our first weekend back in Germany. He never drank it again but did become friendly with Herr Schloser Alt then a Herr Dusseldorf Alt on our second posting.

Di

Draycote this morning was rather strange

Decided to walk Draycote this morning. Very quiet though ;) :eek!:

I think I need another break ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4750.JPG
    IMG_4750.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4773.JPG
    IMG_4773.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4829.JPG
    IMG_4829.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 39
Draycote this morning

Needing to clear my head ;) , I decided to walk Draycote this morning. Arriving at 0715 managed 45 species.

Hobby (1) over country park; Common Sandpiper (1) on Farborough Bank; Juvenile Wheatear (1) on Farborough Bank: Sparrowhawk (1) over fields behind Farborough Bank; Grey Wagtail (2); Willow Warbler (3); Blackcap (2);

Attachments

• IMG_4990.JPG
    IMG_4990.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5031.JPG
    IMG_5031.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 43
Little Owl-Shustoke Reservoir

Max, Kevin, Pete,

Thanks for sharing your excellent photo's.

Yesterday evening I walked around Shustoke Reservoir. The highlight of the walk for me was the fact that I came across my fifth species of owl in the wild. Yep!! I finally caught up with a Little Owl perched in a tree, hunting and in flight from about 100ft. I had really good close views through my bins. It's taken me a while to track one of these down. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time

Also present was a high concentration of Great Crested Grebe, Black Headed Gulls, Lesser Black Backed Gulls flying over, flocks of lapwing in flight and on the waters edge, numerous Moorhens, a Common Tern hunting, two pairs of Mute Swans, Heron, Robin, Pied Wagtails and Swallows low in flight and very close to where I was standing.

Quite a breezy evening but well pleased with the Little Owl sighting B :)

Dean:t::t::t:

Last edited:
Well done on the lifer Dean B :)

Speaking of Owls....can anyone PM me to say where the Barn Owls are at Brandon? I know they're sometimes seen over Newlands, but can anyone direct me to the tree they are being seen in?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back