• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Mexico - Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco (1 Viewer)

madpitta

United States
Western Mexico is often in the news for the wrong reasons. But for birders, the Western Mexican states of Sinaloa, Nayarit & Jalisco are heaven, being that the region has a remarkably high level of avian endemism (50+ Mexican endemics & 50+ Mexican near endemics). I had wanted to go birding there for years, but it did not happen for one reason or the other - often related to the safety situation. The situation is much better now, and I birded there recently for 10 days, and found it to be safe, friendly & beautiful. I ended up seeing 39 Mexican endemics and 35 Mexican near-endemics, with the Top-10 being, 1. Tufted Jay 2. Lesser Ground Cuckoo 3. Eared Poorwill 4. Red-breasted Chat 5. Elegant Quail 6. Chestnut-sided Shrike-Vireo 7. Red Warbler 8. Black-throated Magpie Jay 9. Northern Potoo 10. Rusty-crowned Ground-Sparrow.

I wrote a trip report with itinerary, maps, detailed diary, and pictures. Link below. Hope you like it.

https://www.cloudbirders.com/be/download?filename=BARUAH_Mexico_12_2022.pdf

Regards,
Madpitta.

Very nice report, thanks, and terrific photos. We did a similar itinerary last February, plus Colima, and really enjoyed it. We also missed the "reliable" Five-striped Sparrow and Lucifer Hummingbird at Puente Baluerte :(

I highly approve of your top two species but you've made an error in #3, Red Warbler should be there. I offer this highly objective correction free of charge ;)

A nice report, though :) I still dream of returning to W Mexico. Between the quality of the birds, the locations, the people, and the food it is among the most enjoyable places to bird in the world for me. Cinerous Owl and the Guerrero birds beckon, and I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of these species, particularly Tufted Jay, again. Having some more gorditos at the Espinazo del Diablo wouldn't be so bad either!

To both madpitta and DMW - I have generally found both Lucifer and Beautiful Hummingbird to be really challenging, it took me a long time to see either, and I've still never seen a male of either species well. The people who claim they are "easy" are usually locals who know just where to stand at just what time of day in just what season to see one visiting a certain feeder / bush / etc. To the average world birder, they're pretty f*cking tough!

Very nice report, thanks, and terrific photos. We did a similar itinerary last February, plus Colima, and really enjoyed it. We also missed the "reliable" Five-striped Sparrow and Lucifer Hummingbird at Puente Baluerte :(
Sorry you missed it too. So looks like I'm not the only one and the spot might not be as reliable as let on in some trip reports. I have a habit of missing birds at 'reliable' stakeouts despite working very hard, to the point of going "Whhhhyy meee?. Perhaps this is not such a case.

I highly approve of your top two species but you've made an error in #3, Red Warbler should be there. I offer this highly objective correction free of charge ;)

A nice report, though :) I still dream of returning to W Mexico. Between the quality of the birds, the locations, the people, and the food it is among the most enjoyable places to bird in the world for me. Cinerous Owl and the Guerrero birds beckon, and I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of these species, particularly Tufted Jay, again. Having some more gorditos at the Espinazo del Diablo wouldn't be so bad either!

To both madpitta and DMW - I have generally found both Lucifer and Beautiful Hummingbird to be really challenging, it took me a long time to see either, and I've still never seen a male of either species well. The people who claim they are "easy" are usually locals who know just where to stand at just what time of day in just what season to see one visiting a certain feeder / bush / etc. To the average world birder, they're pretty f*cking tough!
Hahaha yeah that was a bit of a blasphemy isn't it. To be honest, the relief of finding at least one night target remains burnt in. And as it turns out I got one of the better photos of Eared Poorwill available online, when I had least expected to even see this bird.

Agree about Lucifer & Beautiful Hu. Both are poorly known and not common anywhere. And it is quite possible that Lucifer Hu's known range is inaccurate.

Maybe we weren't just our usual incompetent selves after all! We did get incredible views of Cinereous Owl though, after several failed attempts. The trick seems to be to give it a couple of blasts, then wait for 10 minutes and there's a decent chance one will come in and land virtually on your head. West Mexico must be one of the best places there is for owls - I think we saw 12 species in 2 weeks.

Hahaha yeah that was a bit of a blasphemy isn't it. To be honest, the relief of finding at least one night target remains burnt in. And as it turns out I got one of the better photos of Eared Poorwill available online, when I had least expected to even see this bird.

Agree about Lucifer & Beautiful Hu. Both are poorly known and not common anywhere. And it is quite possible that Lucifer Hu's known range is inaccurate.

Yes, your Eared Poorwill photo is ridiculous! I tried and tried several nights in a row and only ever saw it in flight :(

Maybe we weren't just our usual incompetent selves after all! We did get incredible views of Cinereous Owl though, after several failed attempts. The trick seems to be to give it a couple of blasts, then wait for 10 minutes and there's a decent chance one will come in and land virtually on your head. West Mexico must be one of the best places there is for owls - I think we saw 12 species in 2 weeks.
We waited for 10 mins 3 times. Nada. Then tried the goddamn screech owl every 50 meters. Not a whisker. This was on the 19th hour in the field.

Last edited:
Yes, your Eared Poorwill photo is ridiculous! I tried and tried several nights in a row and only ever saw it in flight :(
Antonio spends lot of time on the field and previously he had never managed to see it for more than a couple of seconds, usually glimpses or in flight after hearing it.

We were in two different spots when a nightjar landed on a big rock few meters ahead of him. He called me and we lit up the rock, but there was nothing there. We were confounded. Quickly I went around the area, rapidly flashing the light everywhere with a wide beam, and luckily I managed to catch it in flight, low above the ground. Fortunately, it zipped over to a vegetation-less embankment and abruptly settled. I kept the light on it and it didn't move until we removed the light a few minutes later. By then we got some good photos.

Antonio spends lot of time on the field and previously he had never managed to see it for more than a couple of seconds, usually glimpses or in flight after hearing it.

We were in two different spots when a nightjar landed on a big rock few meters ahead of him. He called me and we lit up the rock, but there was nothing there. We were confounded. Quickly I went around the area, rapidly flashing the light everywhere with a wide beam, and luckily I managed to catch it in flight, low above the ground. Fortunately, it zipped over to a vegetation-less embankment and abruptly settled. I kept the light on it and it didn't move until we removed the light a few minutes later. By then we got some good photos.

I do suspect a thermal scope will make this bird (as with almost all night birds) much easier to get with less playback and less light swinging around so you can get it before it gets so agitated / flushed by the light / etc. But yeah, I also don't know many people who've gotten killer perched views of it.

I do suspect a thermal scope will make this bird (as with almost all night birds) much easier to get with less playback and less light swinging around so you can get it before it gets so agitated / flushed by the light / etc. But yeah, I also don't know many people who've gotten killer perched views of it.
Yes agree. I was going to buy the same model that budgetbirder carries, just before going on this trip, but I deferred it. I can't wait to find roosting wood quails and even flufftails :).

This Eared Poorwill did not require any playback at all btw. We were simply waiting there hoping to hear one as it was heard there two weeks before we were there. The nightjar that settled on the rock came in suddenly without making any sound and based on its behavior, we could tell it had already started hunting.

On thermals - Ross has the Helion (not the Helion 2) with the 28 objective to get the widest FOV / lowest magnification possible, which is kind of the key specification for birders, honestly. If you get a used Helion, great. Otherwise, with the Helion 2, you need to buy the whole unit and it comes with the 50, then get the 28 objective separately, which adds a touch of cost. I have the new Axion 2 XQ35. For me it's the sweet spot in price/performance. Not as much FOV as the Helion 2 but it seems pretty clearly the leader of the middle tier in terms of price/performance, and it's a lot smaller as well which I appreciate. The Helion 28 comes into its own when just scanning randomly to see what you can find, the better FOV (and resolution) are great. But if you're looking for a vocalizing bird or scanning just one area, I think the Axion is just as effective in the end...

I have the new Axion 2 XQ35. For me it's the sweet spot in price/performance. Not as much FOV as the Helion 2 but it seems pretty clearly the leader of the middle tier in terms of price/performance, and it's a lot smaller as well which I appreciate.

As you said Helium 2 comes with 50 mm default. So, you meant "Not as much FOV as the Helium (1 or 2) with 28mm right?

In theory, 35 mm should be pretty wide, so how effective is your Axion 2 XQ35 in a situation where a silent owl or quail or pitta is roosting say 50 meters in and there is quite a bit of foliage in front (including thick tree trunks)? Any scenario where you found it to be amazingly effective? This topic really needs its own thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back