• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western or Eastern black-eared wheatear?? Greece (1 Viewer)

MANOS_SKG

Hello to everyone!

I see elements that point towards a Western black eared wheatear, but I am not as experienced with both species, so I need some advise from people that do. Not sure if bird 2 is the same individual. I found it 300m further, 1 hour later. Northern Greece - Halkidiki.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I am unsure if I have the necessary experience you ask for, but I will start the ball rolling.

No doubt this is an interesting bird and I understand your request for help. In some ways it has an apparently restricted black mask (above the eye) and upperpart hues more typical of Western Black-eared, but in others more indicative of Eastern - extent of black on neck sides, plus slight grey-brown hue on crown and scapulars. It also opens an interesting debate as the whether some birds in Greece are a mix of both.

There are a handful of images of 2cy males on eBird from Greece of EBeW in which the sandy-ochre colour is similar to that of WBeW and which show a variability in mask shape and extent. Typical adult males have a lot of black on the the face - above bill/eye and extending back beyond ear coverts and lower onto throat; 2cy males are more likely to have less black visible as it is hidden by pale fringes to these feathers.

ML438871011 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - narrow mask
ML327991191 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - similar but a little more typical
ML341967881 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - a 2cy male similar to yours

However, I feel that the upperpart colour of the above birds differs subtly from WBeW which has a slightly brighter orange-ginger hue; also, the extension of black onto the neck side shown by yours is odd for WBeW.

eBird WBeW from Spain
ML327518221 Western Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library
ML152971811 Western Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - bright 2cy male

If we accept that all birds from Greece are EBeW then your fits in with that variability.

Brian

I am unsure if I have the necessary experience you ask for, but I will start the ball rolling.

No doubt this is an interesting bird and I understand your request for help. In some ways it has an apparently restricted black mask (above the eye) and upperpart hues more typical of Western Black-eared, but in others more indicative of Eastern - extent of black on neck sides, plus slight grey-brown hue on crown and scapulars. It also opens an interesting debate as the whether some birds in Greece are a mix of both.

There are a handful of images of 2cy males on eBird from Greece of EBeW in which the sandy-ochre colour is similar to that of WBeW and which show a variability in mask shape and extent. Typical adult males have a lot of black on the the face - above bill/eye and extending back beyond ear coverts and lower onto throat; 2cy males are more likely to have less black visible as it is hidden by pale fringes to these feathers.

ML438871011 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - narrow mask
ML327991191 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - similar but a little more typical
ML341967881 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - a 2cy male similar to yours

However, I feel that the upperpart colour of the above birds differs subtly from WBeW which has a slightly brighter orange-ginger hue; also, the extension of black onto the neck side shown by yours is odd for WBeW.

eBird WBeW from Spain
ML327518221 Western Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library
ML152971811 Western Black-eared Wheatear Macaulay Library - bright 2cy male

If we accept that all birds from Greece are EBeW then your fits in with that variability.

Brian

Thanks a LOT! What I more or less expected TBH. It is indeed difficult to ID such birds, especially at this time of the year. It is however indeed possible to once stumble across a WBeW vagrant, which we will never be able to understand in Greece under the circumstances :). Well, always worth cross checking I guess. Let's see if we have any other opinions and then I'll add this in the 'file'.

2cy spring males with limited black on lores or eyebrows are not rare on Crete either... Till more differentiation features are suggested/verified, I guess we can only hope for safe id of birds in hand (measurements, song, ringing)... CRETE Birdwatching

Attachments

• Oenanthe hispanica (13).JPG
    Oenanthe hispanica (13).JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back