• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western or Semi-palm sandpipers Stone Harbor, NJ October 2, 2021 (1 Viewer)

jmercer

These very plain sandpipers have me confused, some are saying semi-palm others western. They were with a bunch of Sanderling on the beach and several of these peeps. The bill seems to droop slightly, but doesn't look as long as I would have thought.
Thanks,
IMG_9870 Cape May Western Sandpiper.JPGIMG_9865 Cape May Western Sandpiper.JPGIMG_9863 Cape May Western Sandpiper.JPGIMG_9864 Cape May Semi-palmated Sandpiper.JPGIMG_9862 Cape May Western Sandpiper.JPG

These birds are certainly within the length expected of eastern Semipalmated Sandpipers. The shape might be enough to name them western, of that I am less sure (though I tend to lean that way). NJ seems a bit north for at least the majority of the westerns.

Niels

I saw the same birds last week. My take then was Semis, especially some of my pics actually show the webbing.

BTW, check your Sanderling pics for banded birds. I had three of them, all with light green flags

I saw the same birds last week. My take then was Semis, especially some of my pics actually show the webbing.

BTW, check your Sanderling pics for banded birds. I had three of them, all with light green flags

Webbing between the toes isn't diagnostic for Semipalmated Sandpiper; Western Sandpipers have it as well.

it's not only bill shape (curved down and quite pointed at tip) - also structure, in being big headed and front heavy (legs look slightly placed to the rear) that give the impression of Western Sandpipers in all depicted birds.

Any remaining Semipalmated Sandpipers in the area are likely to be in full juvenile plumage still.
Adult birds have left by now.
Stone Harbor is a well-known spot for large numbers of Western Sandpiper in October.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back