• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (3 Viewers)

I'd hoped the builders upstairs from me wouldn't be working today (a Saturday) but how wrong I was. As soon as I saw them coming it made up my mind to leave for the day.

I went down to Lochwinnoch and it was much the same as last week, with nothing out of the ordinary. I only stayed for an hour and a half and as usual didn't have any luck with the Long-tailed Duck, the Lesser Scaup and the Barnacle Goose. I didn't want to head home early as the builders would still be in, so I decided to get the train from Lochwinnoch to Largs.

Once at Largs I got the ferry over to the Isle of Cumbrae and I did a short walk around the northeast end of the island. Eiders and Oystercatchers dominated the view as the ferry arrived at the island, and shortly after landing I noticed the first of several Rock Pipits. A little later I spotted some Redshank and then noticed a shorter wader with them - in the end I counted 29 Dunlin. Waders are great in that once you see one, more start appearing and soon I saw nine Turnstone, five Ringed Plover and a single Curlew.

On the water were a few Wigeon, Mallard, Cormorant, Greylag Goose, Shelduck, west Scotland's seemingly biggest gathering of Common Gulls, and a Grey Seal popped its head up.

My visit was slightly disturbed by an idiot who was sitting in his idling car flying a drone low over the shore scaring the birds away.

It was fun watching the Mallards and Goosanders on the Kelvin. The water was really high and flowing really fast, and the birds would fly upriver, then they'd come down on to the water and then let the current carry them downriver. Probably a good way of conserving energy.

I went to Irvine today. When I left home it was overcast and it looked like it would rain, but it actually hadn't rained for the full trip there - until we got to Irvine! It rained lightly on and off but it was very windy and stormy and the sea was looking really rough. I don't go to the coast often enough to see a stormy sea so this was an attraction on its own.

A walk from the station the beach brought me lots of Canada Geese, 11 Oystercatchers, a couple of Curlew, 23 Redshank, a single Eider and Goosander, lots of Mute Swans, including the first I think I've ever seen gliding as it came in to land facing the wind, a couple of Cormorants, lots of Starlings and quite a few Pied Wagtails in different plumages.

I spent a few minutes at the beach admiring the waves and I was then planning to walk down over the top the dunes. At this point it was dry but still windy, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere we were hit with ALL of Saturday's rain in one go. I got thoroughly soaked. There was a silver lining though. As I stood behind a building to shelter from the rain, I saw a Merlin flash by. Pretty certain I would not have seen this if I'd continued on my walk.

At the beach I found this dead Gannet with what I think is a fish (catshark? dogfish?) in its bill. Presumably the bird had choked on the fish that was bigger than it could swallow?

IMG_6241.jpeg
IMG_6242.jpeg

Last edited:
I went to Irvine today. When I left home it was overcast and it looked like it would rain, but it actually hadn't rained for the full trip there - until we got to Irvine! It rained lightly on and off but it was very windy and stormy and the sea was looking really rough. I don't go to the coast often enough to see a stormy sea so this was an attraction on its own.

A walk from the station the beach brought me lots of Canada Geese, 11 Oystercatchers, a couple of Curlew, 23 Redshank, a single Eider and Goosander, lots of Mute Swans, including the first I think I've ever seen gliding as it came in to land facing the wind, a couple of Cormorants, lots of Starlings and quite a few Pied Wagtails in different plumages.

I spent a few minutes at the beach admiring the waves and I was then planning to walk down over the top the dunes. At this point it was dry but still windy, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere we were hit with ALL of Saturday's rain in one go. I got thoroughly soaked. There was a silver lining though. As I stood behind a building to shelter from the rain, I saw a Merlin flash by. Pretty certain I would not have seen this if I'd continued on my walk.

At the beach I found this dead Gannet with what I think is a fish (catshark? dogfish?) in its bill. Presumably the bird had choked on the fish that was bigger than it could swallow?

View attachment 1572752
View attachment 1572753
Dog fish by the looks of it

Hogganfield Loch today.

Saw the two Arctic Terns that have been there for a few days. Really pleased to see these as I missed them last year as they hadn't nested on the Isle of May which I rely on for an annual sighting. Other firsts for year include a mixed flock of House Martins and Sand Martins, with more of the former. A few Barn Swallows were also present, and I heard a few Willow Warblers calling here and there.

There was a big build up of Lesser Black-backed Gulls, with smaller numbers of Common, Black-headed and Herring Gulls.

Coot, Moorhen, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Goosander, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose, Mute Swan made up most of the waterbirds. Also spotted my first Great Spotted Woodpecker of the year, and there was a Common Buzzard being buzzed by a Carrion Crow, and just as I was leaving a Kestrel flew over.

Goldeneye notable by their absence.

Hey all, am heading northwards for the warbler on weds and was wondering if anyone has any nuggets for some more birding nearby. Gotta get car back to airport by 1900 so will have the whole afternoon....black guillemots at Saltcoats? Any red grouse sites within reach as girlf has never seen one...? Any help gratefully received, cheers

Second visit of the year to Balloch and the Loch Lomond shores, to see what migrants have turned up so far. In the woods in order of numbers I heard Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap with good viewings of male and female of the latter, first time I've sighted them this year although heard back in Glasgow. There were no hirundines in sight and on the water little at this time of year with the Goldeneye gone, just Cormorant and Goosander and a couple of Common Gulls along with the very routine stuff. Oystercatchers were on the roof of the shops calling noisily. The Nuthatches were as chirpy and prominent as they normally are and I also got closeups of Treecreeper (so close in fact I could actually hear him creeping up the bark!) and surprisingly my first Great Spotted Woodpecker for the site, bringing me up to a pleasing site total of 58 species.

I had five Mute Swans flying over my flat this morning. Not the most exciting sighting in the world, but it was the first time I'd seen them here. They were flying towards a park that has a pond in it, but the park isn't exactly on my doorstep. Heard them before I saw them!

It was like seeing a Snowy Owl from my window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back