• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whales dolphins shark Portugal /Spain coast (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
On 21st July spotted lots of whales, dolphin/porpoise and a shark not sure of identities so hoping there are some experts out there to help please.

1 Shark sp ?
2 Northern Bottlenose Whale or Fin Whale ? I am going by the small curved fin set way back.
3 Whale sp ? could be same as 2

I am having problems with computer/internet connection at the moment and will add the others later.
Many thanks
ColD

Attachments

• aIMG_5955.jpg
    aIMG_5955.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5985.jpg
    IMG_5985.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5995.jpg
    IMG_5995.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I have no idea with these babies and using DK Mammals for ID !!! Number 2 could also be a Minke maybe

First up I am no expert but it would help us all if you gave a clue as to apparent size (matters).
The habit/action of the shark indicates a Basking Shark.
The Blow hole in #3 seems too prominent for a Minke but the rear position of the dorsal in #2 does not rule it out or it could be two different animals.
Size matters!

Last edited:
Thanks Coronatus, I have the location on the title, I was on a cruise so not exactly sure but we had exited the Bay of Biscay and Portugal/Spain coast was the best I could ascertain.
As to size I do not know, I was several decks up and using a 400mm lens I had no reference to go by for size I'm afraid.
I think you are correct with the shark as a "Basking" ( a first for me) it was just lazing around not moving with any real purpose.

ColD

Common Dolphin ?
Thank you
ColD

Attachments

• IMG_6005.jpg
    IMG_6005.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6019.jpg
    IMG_6019.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6026.jpg
    IMG_6026.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 45
First one first batch, Basking Shark. Other two, rorqual sp. The first of the two doesn't look big and Minke would have been my first thought.

The dolphins are Common.

John

Ha. My edit was too slow.
But as for the Dolphin they are Common.
Back to the Whale. I think I will rule out Minke and lean towards a much bigger animal such as Sei.
Reason. A Minke tends to look more arched when surfacing. Just a hunch.

Thanks John, I have a few other pics but think I am over my limit of posted images today so will add tomorrow.
Saw many others and missed one that passed real close to side of ship apparently was very large.

Coronatus , that one... Sei .. is not in my book. Googled and found it http://www.arkive.org/sei-whale/balaenoptera-borealis/ as with all pics no heads visible just backs unfortunately.

I travelled the Oceans and seas many years ago, 60's, no books or internet then, and had no any idea of the many species seen back then. All new to me now !

Last edited:
Ha. My edit was too slow.
But as for the Dolphin they are Common.
Back to the Whale. I think I will rule out Minke and lean towards a much bigger animal such as Sei.
Reason. A Minke tends to look more arched when surfacing. Just a hunch.

If you go for a bigger animal then Fin is by far the most likely. I think the Biscay ferry crossings eventually decided Sei was much less common than it was being recorded.... I think you know what I'm saying. Of course the Sei I ticked was definitely gen! ;)

John

I can go for Fin or Sei. CoID was off Spain/Portugal not in the Bay. #3 definitely shows a prominent blowhole which I have never seen on Minke. I never got close enough to see them on Fin. Indeed the only blowholes I have seen were on Blues. Awesome craters.

I think Fin Whale for 2 and 3. Sei shows blow and dorsal at same time Fin you get blow, then back then dorsal

Here are a few more whale pics these were two separate groups .
1&2 then 3&4 were later and was a line of five maybe six individuals
5 is a crop of 4
Fin ?
many thanks again.
ColD

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpg
    IMG_5987.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6003.jpg
    IMG_6003.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6063.jpg
    IMG_6063.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6074.jpg
    IMG_6074.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 73
  • aIMG_6074.jpg
    aIMG_6074.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Sticking my neck out but 1&2 say Minke to me.
Extending neck further I think the rest may be your Fin and friends.
Is there an Emocion for sticking out one's neck with finger's crossed and tongue in cheek all at the same time??

Last batch all dolphin or is there porpoise there too ?

images 3 and 4 are cropped from image 5

Many thanks everyone for the input :t:

ColD

Attachments

• IMG_6078.jpg
    IMG_6078.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 78
  • aaIMG_6085.jpg
    aaIMG_6085.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 74
  • aIMG_6085.jpg
    aIMG_6085.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6085.jpg
    IMG_6085.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 69
Thanks both. I was not sure if there were any porpoise amongst them, there were many young commons with the groups which was nice to see.
The one that I was unsure of was the one in pic 4 it seems to have a very blunt head but that may be the angle when it was taken.

I should add that the number of these mammals in this area from the Bay of Biscay down to Lisbon was really good with pods/groups of the species seen throughout the days, in the evening when at dinner just before sunset we were entertained by several groups of the Common Dolphin that came in very close to the ship giving great displays as they approached at speed towards us then attacked the waves towards the ships stern.

Many thanks for the input, its very much appreciated !

Cheers
ColD

Last edited:
I think that is just the angle of the shot. The animal is not quite up to the surface just going down again. (I think!)
You have had an envious trip.

Thanks Coronatus.....Only a week away down to Lisbon and back with only two days at sea the return leg in daylight was mostly in the Bay of Biscay, the outward leg was the calmest and best, on the way back was good with the evening producing more sightings. Could not believe our luck really. Was meant to be a no wildlife holiday, but sea days what else is there to do ;)
Should have done a count !!!

Cheers
ColD

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back