• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird? West Central Indiana (1 Viewer)

HoosierGuy

I went for a little walk on Sunday near a cornfield and patch of trees and a small pond. I heard a bird that I could not see and I could not recognize the sound. I took a video with my digi cam and picked up the audio. The bird gives three or four - "weet weet weet weet" then a few second later another "weet weet weet" a ten or so second later another "weet weet weet weet". You can hear the bird in the background - first the bird, then me whistling, then the bird one more time. Any idea? I was looking around while I was holding the camera so that is why it's shaky. But you can hear the bird for sure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30285054@N07/sets/72157619665491967/

Thanks!

I didn't listen to the whole thing as I do not have the bandwidth for movies and I didn't realize when I clicked it that it was but it sounds like a Pileated Woodpecker [or maybe a Northern Flicker] to me.

Last edited:
[EDIT: Posting at the same time as CNY Birder. Good to see you posting again.]

Since no one else has responded, I will note that Tufted Titmice have a lot of different calls, so that is one possibility. However, I'm really not sure.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I know the the Tufted Titmouse gives a "here here here" and "chiva chiva chiva" but did not know about other songs/calls.

I'm trying to learn bird songs. I've already been thru Petersons Birding by Ear and I just started on Petersons More Birding by Ear. Actually was at a small pond this evening looking at some ducks (I think) when I saw a big bird take off from above and heard a "keeearrr" sound. I only saw him for a second or two. It was kind of a blurr. But I heard that "keeearrr" sound!

I know the the Tufted Titmouse gives a "here here here" and "chiva chiva chiva" but did not know about other songs/calls.

I'm trying to learn bird songs. I've already been thru Petersons Birding by Ear and I just started on Petersons More Birding by Ear. Actually was at a small pond this evening looking at some ducks (I think) when I saw a big bird take off from above and heard a "keeearrr" sound. I only saw him for a second or two. It was kind of a blurr. But I heard that "keeearrr" sound!

That sounds good for a red-tailed hawk

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back