• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What camera for Panasonic Leica 50-200mm (2 Viewers)

Hamblin113

United States
I have been given the above lens, and am wondering what would be an inexpensive good used camera body to get for wildlife photography that would take advantage of the lens? Would it matter if it was an Olympus? Thanks for any information you can provide.

I have a 100-400 that I use with a pana G85. That would likely be a good, inexpensive camera to get with it and especially second hand. Better would be a G9 (better AF tracking) which is in the range of $1000 as new.

No, it would likely not matter too much if you chose Olympus instead of Pana. What you would be missing out on is that combination IS where both in camera and in lens stabilization works together. Depending on what you expect to shoot this may or may not matter to you (for fast moving birds you have enough stabilization with either/or, but for something absolutely still it could matter).

For Olympus bird photos newer is better. However, I would likely try to get my hands on a EM1 if it was me. For inexpensive, think about yesteryears model EM1-mkII which was mentioned recently as still a very good camera.

Niels

For Olympus bird photos newer is better. However, I would likely try to get my hands on a EM1 if it was me. For inexpensive, think about yesteryears model EM1-mkII which was mentioned recently as still a very good camera.

Niels
Agree with Niels. The mkii is an excellent camera, and a significant improvement over the mki, which I wouldn't recommend unless you are on a strict budget. The mkiii has only minor improvements over the mkii. The oly bodies are lighter than panny bodies in general--if that makes a difference to you.

Thank you both for input. At first look the recommended cameras above budget. Would an Olympus e-M5, or a Pana G7 work.? I currently use a Panasonic FZ 300. May have to save my money.

While those would work, I am not sure that you could not find a second hand version of those mentioned that might fit your budget?
Niels

I’ll look around thanks
You may already be familiar with this site. They currently have some used EM-1 mkii's starting at $644.

Used Olympus OM-D E-M1 II

EM-1 original around $250. I've gotten some excellent shots with the original, but the mkii does noticeably better with noise in low light, has better autofocus for bif, and a 20mp sensor, so more room to crop. I don't have experience with the other oly models, but they are worth considering as well.

Last edited:
You may already be familiar with this site. They currently have some used EM-1 mkii's starting at $644.

Used Olympus OM-D E-M1 II

EM-1 original around $250. I've gotten some excellent shots with the original, but the mkii does noticeably better with noise in low light, has better autofocus for bif, and a 20mp sensor, so more room to crop. I don't have experience with the other oly models, but they are worth considering as well.
The same site has the G85 used from $439.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back