• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What camera would be reccomend for a begginer? (1 Viewer)

Alvaenerle

Poland
I really wanted to get into bird photography for a while now, but the topic of cameras can be quite intimidating. Im looking for a decent enough camera, prefferably on the cheaper side, and if its possible, for it to not be extremly big and heavy, as it would be tought to travel with such a piece of equipment. I have seen Canon Powershot SX70 HS/SX60/SX50 and Nikon coolpix 1000/950/900 be recomended for bird photography, and they seem like a pretty good match for what id want. What are the differences between the older and the newer versions of these cameras? Would they even be good for me? Or maybe are there some better affordable options out there?

Hi Alvaenerle and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I have the Nikon Coolpix P900 and am delighted with it, even on full zoom I can generally manage with out a tripod, as long as I'm leaning against something. Not sure it is possible to do that with the P1000.

It does sound like you are more interested in bridge cameras, rather than DSLR? But the choice really depends on what sort of results you are wanting. If you want your images printed at large sizes or sent to magazines for publication the lack of pixels may be an issue with the bridge cameras. If they're for your enjoyment and upload at smaller sizes to websites go the bridge camera route.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I really wanted to get into bird photography for a while now, but the topic of cameras can be quite intimidating. Im looking for a decent enough camera, prefferably on the cheaper side, and if its possible, for it to not be extremly big and heavy, as it would be tought to travel with such a piece of equipment. I have seen Canon Powershot SX70 HS/SX60/SX50 and Nikon coolpix 1000/950/900 be recomended for bird photography, and they seem like a pretty good match for what id want. What are the differences between the older and the newer versions of these cameras? Would they even be good for me? Or maybe are there some better affordable options out there?
No major differences. All same sensor size. For the long reach, those are your best options.

I am relatively new like yourself. I'm having fun with an old bridge camera and learning the basics. I purchased a used Panasonic FZ150, which was released about 12 years ago. For the last two years, I've been taking photos of birds on "intelligent auto" and been happy for the most part. I was able to capture stills of birds, mammals, and flowers. It is relatively lightweight and compact for travel.

After joining BF, I've seen others' images and am now trying to up my game. I am now running into limitations, like low light performance and autofocus for birds in flight, but I think it is a good place to start to see if you like doing this type of photography, and whether you want to plunk more money into it. I tend to think there is more I can learn with this camera before I upgrade.

The Canon is discontinued afaik, as is the Nikon P900, but the P950 is still offered, it is the upgraded version of the P900.
The P1000 has the same sensor, but a much bigger lens, so it offers the biggest zoom range of any camera currently sold.
Do note that none of these cameras are waterproof, so fair weather only, but as they need lots of light to perform at their best, that is probably ok.
All of these have good automatic point and shoot capability, but also allow you to tweak the controls once you get a bit more comfortable with them.
Do note that all of them use a tiny sensor, about 4mm x 6mm, which limits how much light gets captured and how much detail can be discerned. They will work great for imaging the bird, but may not take enlargement anywhere near as comfortably as a photo taken on the full size 24mm x 36mm sensors used in big cameras. Those big cameras however also need very expensive lenses just to get zooms well below those offered by the Canon SX-70 or the Nikon P950.

If you are going DSLR, you may want to check KEH. They have great people that will help you on the phone or via computer. I wore out my Canon 70D. The newer mirrorless cameras are, I'm sure, quite wonderful, but not in my price range. Plus, I have EF lenses that even with an EF adapter didn't work well with the newer cameras. I found a nearly new Canon 70D (Less than 2500 camera clicks) at KEH for a great price. Right now there's an excellent condition Canon Rebel (great starter for EF lenses) at $175 on KEH and an excellent condition 100-300 mm EF lens is $333 right now. I don't know your budget, but this set up should last you quite a while and let you take some great shots.

I am relatively new like yourself. I'm having fun with an old bridge camera and learning the basics. I purchased a used Panasonic FZ150, which was released about 12 years ago. For the last two years, I've been taking photos of birds on "intelligent auto" and been happy for the most part. I was able to capture stills of birds, mammals, and flowers. It is relatively lightweight and compact for travel.

After joining BF, I've seen others' images and am now trying to up my game. I am now running into limitations, like low light performance and autofocus for birds in flight, but I think it is a good place to start to see if you like doing this type of photography, and whether you want to plunk more money into it. I tend to think there is more I can learn with this camera before I upgrade.
Yes, a good place to start and, for me, a good place to end. That is, I can do a lot with my superzoom, and the next step up in quality images means, at the same price, a basic DSLR, and, for more money and weight, the equivalent zoom range. I consider myself lucky to have the Canon SX70 HS. Photo was taken today using P mode and multiple exposures. IMG_0631.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back