• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bridge Cameras available in 2021? (1 Viewer)

Dear community,
I've done a fair amount of looking and gathering on past posts about bridge cameras, and want to bring together much of that accumulated wisdom here.

Keeping the topic narrowly focused on 'best bridge cameras' is what I'm hoping for here. And hoping to learn if there are some I've left out of this list.
I also want to ask: what can I expect from even the top-line products?

In no particular order, here is what I've gathered (please fill in any blanks):

Sony RX10 Mark II & III & IV
(Sony RX100 vii maybe)
Panasonic FZ1000, 2500, (maybe: 300/330)
Cannon G3X, Powershot SX70
Nikon Coolpix P1000, P950
Leica V-Lux 5

My first question: which ones have I missed with this list?

My second question: Can someone who owns the RX10 Mark III tell me if the autofocus is quick enough (there seems to be disagreement) to actually capture birds in flight? Can they capture small birds, at short distances of 30-50 feet (10-20m), in flight? (I'm talking 'good enough to ID' photos, not much more.)

Third question is more generally about autofocusing on flying birds: which cameras, if any of the above, can actually get a decent image of a bird in flight? (I know higher end cameras are equipped to do this.. but I'd like to keep the discussion firmly on the bridge camera section - or point and shoots, if there are candidates worth mentioning. I've already mentioned the RX100 above, perhaps there are others?)

Thank you ahead of time. The first time I posted, we had an amazing exchange about shopping for binoculars.. that ultimately led me to a pair (Zeiss Victory SF 8x42) which I absolutely love. The conversation here was essential for me finding that pair.

I look forward to hearing all responses!

Last edited:
Dear community,
I've done a fair amount of looking and gathering on past posts about bridge cameras, and want to bring together much of that accumulated wisdom here.

Keeping the topic narrowly focused on 'best bridge cameras' is what I'm hoping for here. And hoping to learn if there are some I've left out of this list.
I also want to ask: what can I expect from even the top-line products?

In no particular order, here is what I've gathered (please fill in any blanks):

Sony RX10 Mark II & III & IV
(Sony RX100 vii maybe)
Panasonic FZ1000, 2500, (maybe: 300/330)
Cannon G3X, Powershot SX70
Nikon Coolpix P1000, P950
Leica V-Lux 5

My first question: which ones have I missed with this list?

My second question: Can someone who owns the RX10 Mark III tell me if the autofocus is quick enough (there seems to be disagreement) to actually capture birds in flight? Can they capture small birds, at short distances of 30-50 feet (10-20m), in flight? (I'm talking 'good enough to ID' photos, not much more.)

Third question is more generally about autofocusing on flying birds: which cameras, if any of the above, can actually get a decent image of a bird in flight? (I know higher end cameras are equipped to do this.. but I'd like to keep the discussion firmly on the bridge camera section - or point and shoots, if there are candidates worth mentioning. I've already mentioned the RX100 above, perhaps there are others?)

Thank you ahead of time. The first time I posted, we had an amazing exchange about shopping for binoculars.. that ultimately led me to a pair (Zeiss Victory SF 8x42) which I absolutely love. The conversation here was essential for me finding that pair.

I look forward to hearing all responses!
I'm looking for the same information! In addition to taking pictures outside, I like to take them from the comfort of my recliner and then put them through an app for identification. I am concerned that the Canon PowerShot SX70 won't be able to handle that since I understand that it's not as good in anything other than bright lighting conditions due to its small sensor. I have the same concern about taking it into wooded areas with filtered light.

InspiredSquare, Carolyn, I would be going for the Sony RX10 IV as the best all round option and to get images of moving birds. It is a step up in quality and sensor design over many of the alternatives mentioned, and the lens is Zeiss quality. The addition of phase detect AF over the Mk III is a big step up.

If you were mostly taking photos from a stable rest, of still birds, at long distances, and in good bright light, and don't mind the extra size and weight, then the Nikon P1000 might also come into play.

Good review including detailed sample shots of the Sony RX10 IV here:-

Chosun 🙅

Last edited:
I'm looking for the same information! In addition to taking pictures outside, I like to take them from the comfort of my recliner and then put them through an app for identification. I am concerned that the Canon PowerShot SX70 won't be able to handle that since I understand that it's not as good in anything other than bright lighting conditions due to its small sensor. I have the same concern about taking it into wooded areas with filtered light.
I own a canon powershot sx70 hs and it hasn't dissapointed me. Its extremely light weight allows you to take images of birds in flight pretty easily. You do often not get good images in dark light, but it's also not impossible. You could take a look at my gallery to see what kind of images it takes if you wish.
That said, if you are using a support and the camera being heavy doesn't bother you I feel like the nikon coolpix p1000 is the best option, but note that it will likely be very hard to get images of birds in flight.
The Sony RX IV is pretty expensive and doesn't have the most zoom but if you can get past that it also takes great images.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back